E. V. Carter papers
E. V. Carter papers
Handwritten record (plus photocopies) of Carter's journey frm Ohio to St. Louis via Wisconsin. ALS's dated Oct. 15, 24, 1845 (plus photocopies) to his wife, Mary Hine Carter, are revised transcripts of diary. Diary entry for November 13 describes a visit to the Nauvoo, Illinois Temple. This is a journal kept by E.V. Carter during his journey from Tallmadge, Ohio, to St. Louis, Missouri. He wrote of a lecturer, "Mr. Little John," at a Methodist house in White Pigeon Prarie, (Iowa?). Carter disliked the irreverant tone of the lecturer and his inappropriate use of the name of God. Carter was very interested in religion and told about his visit to the Nauvoo temple (built by the Mormon Church) in Illinois. He mostly went to the Presbyterian Church and wrote about his agreements and disagreements with the principles taught by the Presbyterian preachers. At the end of his journal, Carter copied a letter he had written to his wife about the places he had been visiting at that time.
- Extent: 3 folders (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Carter, E. V. (Elbert Victor), b. 1810
- Call Number: MSS SC 405
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Originals restricted. Photocopies and typescript are for patron use.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from E.V. Carter papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 405; E.V. Carter papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 405, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Fred A. Rosenstock, 1979.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Fred A. Rosenstock; 1979.
- Subject Terms
- Carter, E. V. (Elbert Victor), b. 1810--Correspondence; Carter, E. V. (Elbert Victor), b. 1810--Diaries; Carter, Mary H. (Mary Hine)--Correspondence; Nauvoo Temple (Nauvoo, Ill. : 1841-1850); United States. Army--Officers--Diaries; Immigration and American Expansion; Methodism--History--Sources; Middle West--Description and travel; Mormons--Illinois--Nauvoo--History; Nauvoo (Ill.)--History; Overland Journeys to the Western United States; Presbyterianism--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Photocopies; Typescripts
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Carter (E. V.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elisa Visick
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-16T04:23-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Major, U.S. Army.
comments powered by Disqus