Charles Smith papers
Charles Smith papers
Holographs with partial typescripts (photocopies) and typescript (photocopy). The journal tells of his life in England, Nauvoo, Illinois and Washington County, Utah, missions to England and Europe, and his life in the United Order as a polygamist. The journal 1860-1862 is written completely in Pitman shorthand. Record book includes family names and Latter-day Saint Church temple ordinances completed. Also included are an autobiographical sketch, an obituary, a memorium written by a grandchild, and an autobiographical record.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Smith, Charles, 1819-1905
- Call Number: MSS SC 554
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Photocopies open for public research.
- Material Specific Details
- Originals restricted (except 1860-1862 journal).
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials maintained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Charles Smith papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 554; Charles Smith papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 554, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Mary Ann Matheson in 1975. Shorthand journal gift of the Deseret Museum.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Mary Ann Matheson; 1975.
- Subject Terms
- Smith family; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Diaries; Material Types; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--England; Mormon pioneers; Nauvoo (Ill.)--History; Pioneers--Utah; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; United orders (Mormon Church); Washington County (Utah)--History
- Genre / Form
- Biography; Shorthand
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Smith (Charles) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Morgan Crockett
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-23T04:07-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon pioneer and missionary.
comments powered by Disqus