John D. T. McAllister papers
John D. T. McAllister papers
Short typewritten biography with genealogical data, typescripts of selected journal entries concerning crossing the plains, 1851, the corner stone ceremony for the Salt Lake City, Utah Temple, 1852, his mission to England, 1852-1856, and travel with a handcart company on his return. Also included are three poems he wrote, correspondence to his wife, Anne E., and to David H. Cannon, 1886-1895, covering family affairs, political views and temple business, and a description of the Washington Monument stone from the State of Deseret.
- Extent: 1 item (31 p.)(0.09 linear ft.)
- Creator: McAllister, John D. T. (John Daniel Thompson), 1827-1910
- Call Number: MSS SC 565
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Technical Requirements
- Letters are photocopies.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John D. T. McAllister papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Biography compiled by Blanche M.S. Spendlove and Annie M.S. Hall.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 565; John D. T. McAllister papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 565, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Brent Ashworth in 1971 and Ellis S. McAllister in 1975. Part of the Bette B. Ashworth memorial collection.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Brent Ashworth; 1971. Donated; Ellis S. McAllister; 1975.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--England; Manti Temple (Manti, Utah); McAllister family; Salt Lake Temple; St. George Temple (Saint George, Utah); Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion; Immigration and American Expansion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormon handcart companies; Mormons--Songs and music; Pioneers; Washington Monument (Washington, D.C.)
- Genre / Form
- Biography; Letters; Poetry--19th century
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- McAllister (John D. T.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-02T04:05-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon pioneer, missionary, and president of the Latter-day Saint Church St. George and Manti, Utah Temples.
comments powered by Disqus