Joseph Fielding Smith letters
Joseph Fielding Smith letters
Correspondence between Joseph Fielding Smith (1876-1972) and his son Milton E. Smith (1927- ). The collection covers two timeframes: July 1945 to July 1946 and April 1947 to December 1949. The first group covers the time when Milton E. Smith served in the United States Navy, and the majority of them were written by Milton E. Smith to his family. The second group were written by Milton E. Smith to his family. The second group were written while Milton E. Smith was a missionary serving the LDS Church in Argentina, and almost all of these letters were written by Joseph Fielding Smith to his missionary son. The subjects of these letters range from such topics as LDS doctrines to politics and sports.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Smith, Joseph Fielding, 1876-1972. -- Smith, Milton Edmund, 1927
- Call Number: MSS SC 725
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Joseph Fielding Smith letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 725; Joseph Fielding Smith letters; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 725, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Gift of Milton E. Smith, October 1983.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Milton E. Smith; 1983.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC725.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Doctrines; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Argentina; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Presidents--Correspondence; Smith, Joseph Fielding, 1876-1972--Correspondence; Smith, Milton Edmund, 1927---Correspondence; United States. Navy; Argentina--Politics and government--1943-1955; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion; Mormon doctrine--Personal interpretations; United States--Politics and government--1945-1953
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Smith (Joseph Fielding) letters
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elisa Visick
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-06-26T16:03-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Joseph Fielding Smith from 1921 to 1970 was the LDS Church Historian and was the author of over twenty-five works on the doctrines and history of the LDS Church. He served from 1910 to 1970 as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the LDS Church and was the tenth president of the LDS Church from 1970 until his death in 1972.
Milton E. Smith served as a seaman first class in the U.S. Navy from June 1945 to July 1946 and as a missionary in Argentina for the LDS Church from November 1946 to November 1949. He graduated from the University of Utah in 1951 and joined the faculty of the School of Management at Brigham Young University in 1966.
comments powered by Disqus