Lake family biographies
Lake family biographies
Photocopy of typescript. Contains biographies of James Lake (1788-1874); Philomelia Smith Lake (1794-1873); James Lake, Sr. (1760- ); and George Lake (1838-1898) written by some of their grandchildren. Also includes autobiography of George Lake (1838-1898). Discusses the family's genealogy; their conversion to the Mormon Church in 1832; their migration with the Mormons to Ohio, Illinois, and Utah; illnesses and deaths in the family; life on the Utah frontier; George's mission in Great Britain (1869-1871); and the family's subsequent move to Arizona and Mexico to assist in establishing Mormon colonies there. George Lake's autobiography also discusses his participation in the Utah War and the flight of the Saints out of the path of Johnston's Army in 1858, as well as the impact the Mormon Reformation (1856-1857) had on his life.
- Extent: 2 items
- Call Number: MSS SC 768
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Lake family biographies must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 768; George S. Tanner Collection; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 768, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Acquisition Information
- Subject Terms
- Lake family; Home and Family; Indians of North America; Mormon Church--Reformation, 1856-1857; Mormon Church--Utah--History--Sources; Mormon converts--Biography; Mormon missionaries--Great Britain; Mormons--Colonization--Arizona--History; Mormons--Colonization--Mexico--History; Mormons--History; Mormons--Utah--Biography; Mormons--Utah--History--Sources; Social Life and Customs; Utah Expedition (1857-1858)--Personal narratives; Utah--History--1847-1896--Sources; Utah--History--19th century--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Frontier and pioneer life--Utah--Sources
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lake family biographies
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elisa Visick
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-05T08:35-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Early converts to the Mormon Church; Utah and Arizona pioneers; first settlers in the Mormon colonies in Mexico.
comments powered by Disqus