John Law Blythe papers
John Law Blythe papers
File includes copies of a handwritten biographical sketch of Blythe, written by one of his granddaughters, Pearl Elizabeth Mitchell Boyce; typescripts of some of Blythe's 1874 letters to Brigham Young (1801-1877) reporting on the progress of the Arizona mission and relations with the Indians; a diary covering 1857-1874 as well as extracts from 1870 and 1878-1880. The 1857-1874 diary describes Blythe's conversion to the Mormon Church in California; emigrating to Utah; and daily life and activities in Utah. The 1870 excerpts provide a brief autobiographical sketch, along with genealogical information and family history. The portion covering 1878-1880 discusses the author's mission for the Mormon Church in Scotland.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.16 linear feet)
- Creator: Tanner, George S.
- Call Number: MSS SC 791
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public access.
- Languages and Scripts
- The materials in this collection are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from MSS SC 791 must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 791; John Law Blythe papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 791, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Acquisition Information
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Arizona; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--New Zealand; Arizona--History--To 1912--Sources; Education--Utah--History--Sources; Frontier and pioneer life--Arizona--Sources; Indians of North America; Indians of North America--Agriculture--History--Sources; Mormon missionaries--Arizona; Mormon missionaries--Scotland; Mormons; Mormons--Colonization--Arizona--History--Sources; United orders (Mormon Church)--Arizona--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Biography; Diaries; Letters
- Frontier and pioneer life--Utah--Sources
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Blythe (John Law) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Patsy Shin Hernandez
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-05T08:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Convert to the Mormon Church, polygamist, and Mormon Missionary to Scotland and to the Indians in Arizona.
comments powered by Disqus