Joseph J. Cannon letter
Joseph J. Cannon letter
Dates: 1935 February 14
This autographed typewritten letter was written 14 February 1935 by Joseph J. Cannon, then President of the British Mission of the Mormon Church to Francis W. Kirkham, then Secretary to Chief Justice Hughes of the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington D.C. The subject of this letter is Kirkham's son, Grant, who "determined" to leave his mission four months early, and Cannon's efforts to dissuade him.
- Extent: 1 item (0.05 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cannon, Joseph J. (Joseph Jenne), 1877-1945
- Call Number: MSS SC 821
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Joseph J. Cannon letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 821; Joseph J. Cannon letter; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 821, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated in 1974.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; 1974.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--England; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Great Britain; Kirkham, Francis W. (Francis Washington), 1877-1972; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cannon (Joseph J.) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-16T04:02-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Joseph J. Cannon was, at the time of this letter, the President of the British Mission of the Mormon Church. He was an author, an editor of the "Deseret News", a businessman, and son of George Q. Cannon, apostle of the Mormon Church.
comments powered by Disqus