Dalton family diaries
Dalton family diaries
The collection includes copies of the diaries of Charles Dalton (1810-1891) and John Luther Dalton (1843- ). Charles was an early convert to the Mormon Church, lived in Nauvoo, Illinois, and was an early pioneer to Utah. His diary is a fifteen-page typescript covering the years 1855 to 1858 during which he served a Mormon Church mission to the Indians of Idaho. He describes some contact with the Bannock and Nez Perce Indians, but most of the entries are short and relate to the repairs and other work he performed. John Dalton's diary is a photocopy of the original with the inclusive dates of 8 Aug. 1892 - 6 Feb. 1893. It is about 50 leaves in length. John was quickly called as the president of the California Mission for the Mormon church when it was rumored he was to be charged with adultery by federal officials because he was a polygamist. He describes his journey to California and gives details of his activities as a mission president. The collection also includes miscellaneous items relating to the Dalton family including the typescript of a two-page biography of Charles Dalton.
- Extent: 14 items (0.09 linear ft.)
- Creator: Dalton family
- Call Number: MSS SC 837
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Dalton family diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 837; Dalton family diaries; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 837, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Permission to copy given by Ida Dalton Drayer in 1976.
- Acquisition Information
- Permission to copy given; Ida Dalton Drayer; 1976.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Idaho; Dalton, Charles, 1810-1891; Dalton, John Luther, 1843-; Bannock Indians; Religion; Church work with Indians--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Immigration and American Expansion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormons--Biography; Nez Perce? Indians--History; Pioneers
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Dalton family diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-16T04:12-0700
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus