John B. Fairbanks papers
John B. Fairbanks papers
This collection consists of memorabilia, letters, essays, and biographies of Fairbanks. Three of the letters are from Joseph F. Smith, an apostle and later president, of the Mormon Church. The essays include "The History of Art" and "A Short Sketch of the Life of the Artist John Hafen" by Fairbanks. Two biographies of Fairbanks are in the collection. One is handwritten, 80 pages in length, and is entitled "Interesting Incidents from the Life of J. B. Fairbanks by his Wife Florence Gifford Fairbanks." The other biography is anonymous and untitled but was done by one or more Fairbanks family members. It is 122 typed pages in length and was completed in 1936.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.16 linear ft.)
- Creator: Fairbanks, Florence G. (Florence Gifford), 1892-1952. -- Fairbanks, John B. (John Boylston), 1855-1940
- Call Number: MSS SC 841
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John B. Fairbanks papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 841; John B. Fairbanks papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 841, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Mrs. J. Austin Cope in 1976.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Mrs. J. Austin Cope; 1976.
- Separated Material
- Photographs and glass plate negatives are located in the repository under catalog numbers MSS P9 and A84-213.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Presidents--Correspondence; Fairbanks, John B. (John Boylston), 1855-1940; Hafen, John G., 1838-1928; Smith, Joseph F. (Joseph Fielding), 1838-1918; Art--History; Religion; Material Types; Mormon Church--Apostles--Correspondence; Mormons--Biography
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Fairbanks (John B.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-16T04:12-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Fairbanks was a prominent Utah artist and sculptor.
comments powered by Disqus