Frank Biddle letter
Frank Biddle letter
Holograph letter written to Biddle's "Wife and Boy" 26 May 1871 probably from St. Helena, California. Biddle described the capture and interrogation of two thieves by the names of "Sullivan" and "Sinclair." These two men were taken from a jail by a "Vigilance committee" of fifteen men with Biddle as a member. Sullivan confessed and showed them where he hid his share of the money. Sinclair long claimed his innocence even when he was pulled up several times by a rope around his neck. Only when he became convinced he was going to be killed whether he confessed or not, did he disclose his part in the crimes and show the men where the loot was located.
- Extent: 1 item (16 p.)
- Creator: Biddle, Frank
- Call Number: MSS SC 859
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Frank Biddle letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 859; Frank Biddle letter; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 859, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- California--History--1950-1950--Sources; Correspondence; Material Types; Saint Helena (Calif.)--History--Sources; Vigilance committees--California--Saint Helena--History--Sources
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Biddle (Frank) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Morgan Crockett
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-05T08:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus