History of the building of the Zion Cable and Saw Mill

History of the building of the Zion Cable and Saw Mill

Dates: 1901-1907

Photocopied portions of Flanigan's diary pertaining to the decision to build and the actual construction of the Zion Cable and Saw Mill. Describes how the use of the cable saved ten day's from a wagon journey to haul goods around Zion's Canyon, and how the saw mill served the people of the area.

  • Extent: 13 leaves (0.07 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Flanigan, William, 1877-1961
  • Call Number: MSS SC 935
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Location of Originals
William W. Flanigan collection (Ms 38); Special Collections and Archives, Gerald R. Sherratt Library, Southern Utah University; 351 West University Boulevard, Cedar City, UT 84720.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from History of the building of the Zion Cable and Saw Mill must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Note
Typescript (photocopy).
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: MSS SC 935; History of the building of the Zion Cable and Saw Mill; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 935, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Donated in 1974.
Acquisition Information
Donated; 1974.
Subject Terms
Flanigan, David Alma, 1872-1951; Business, Industry, Labor, and Commerce; Cable structures--History; Immigration and American Expansion; Pioneers; Sawmills--Utah--Zion National Park--History; Transportation; Zion National Park (Utah)--History
Genre / Form
Diaries; Histories
Appraisal Information
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_MSSSC935
Finding Aid Title
History of the building of the Zion Cable and Saw Mill
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-08-05T10:40-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Biographical Note

William Flanigan (1877-1961) was a Mormon farm laborer and lumber developer in Utah.

William Wallace Flanigan was born on February 17, 1877 in Rockville, Utah to Thomas Emmett Flanigan and Ida Jane Johnson. He was raised in southern Utah and worked there as a farm laborer. On March 15, 1898 he married Nellie Hansen Draper (1881-1957) in St. George, Utah, and they had three children. He and his brother Alma worked to develop the Zion Cable and Saw Mill in Zion Canyon. He and his family later moved to Cedar City, Utah, where he worked as a fireman and janitor in the local high school. Flanigan died on June 16, 1961 in St. George.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Ryan Lee
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts
ryan_lee@byu.edu