Henry Ballard diary
Henry Ballard diary
Two typescripts of the Ballard diary. They vary in small details and in the nature of the added materials found at the back. Ballard was converted to Mormonism in England. He arrived in Utah in 1852, was active in the Utah War of 1857-8, and settled in Logan, Utah in 1859. He was a bishop for the Mormon Church, participated in many of the activities of that faith, and was sentenced to two months in the Utah penitentiary for polygamy. He also tells about troubles with the Indians of the Cache valley, Utah area.
- Extent: 2 v. (105 leaves) (110 leaves)
- Creator: Ballard, Henry, 1832-1908
- Call Number: MSS SC 998
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Henry Ballard diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 998; Henry Ballard diary; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 998, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Church Archives in 1978.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Church Archives; 1978.
- Subject Terms
- Ballard, Henry, 1832-1908--Diaries; Utah Expedition (1857-1858)--Sources; Immigration and American Expansion; Indians of North America--Utah--Cache Valley--History; Logan (Utah)--History; Mormon pioneers--Utah--Logan--Diaries; Mormons--Utah--Logan--Diaries; Pioneers; Polygamy--History; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Prisoners--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ballard (Henry) diary
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elisa Visick
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-02T04:12-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon pioneer and bishop of the Mormon Church.
comments powered by Disqus