LDS Foundation records

LDS Foundation records

Dates: 1947-1989

Contains financial records, correspondence, meeting minutes, and other materials related to fundraising efforts by the foundation, including the Annual Giving Fund and telefund. Also includes information on scholarship awards, the development of Ironton, and the administration of the foundation itself. Materials date from between 1947 and 1989.

  • Extent: 3 cartons (3 linear ft.). -- 27 boxes (13.5 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize boxes (3 linear ft.)
  • Creator: LDS Foundation
  • Call Number: UA 1009
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Arranged in four series: 1. Records on Annual Giving Fund. 2. Records on Ironton Park. 3. Administrative records. 4. Administrative records.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the LDS Foundation historical records must be obtained from the Permissions & Licensing Office of the University and the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial Citation: UA 1009; LDS Foundation records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 1009, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Acquired in installments through transfer from Records Management between 1989 and 2006.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; Records Management; 2002.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1009.xml
Subject Terms
Ironton Plant (Provo, Utah); LDS Foundation--Archives; Colleges and Universities; Education; Educational fund raising--Utah--Provo
Genre / Form
Corporate minutes; Financial records; Letters
Processing Information
Processed; J. Gordon Daines III and Natalie Clark; 2002.
Appraisal Information
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA1009
Finding Aid Title
LDS Foundation records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by J. Gordon Daines III and Natalie Clark
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-20T17:04-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Development Office of Brigham Young University was established in 1966, and was responsible for coordinating fund-raising activities for the university. Its functions were transferred to the newly established Church Education Development division of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1971.

Administrative History

Church Education Development for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was established in 1971, and was the successor to the Development Office at Brigham Young University. Church Education Development was responsible for fund-raising activities for Church-funded institutions. It was named the Development Office of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and given expanded responsibilities in 1973.

Administrative History

The Development Office of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was established in 1971 as Church Education Development, and became the Development Office in 1973. The Development Office was responsible for coordinating philanthropic giving within the Church, and was under the direction of the Presiding Bishopric. The Development Office was renamed LDS Foundation in 1982.

Administrative History

The LDS Foundation (1982-2005) handles all donations to the Church that are not tithes or offerings.

The LDS Foundation was established in 1971 as Church Education Development, and became the LDS Foundation in 1982. The LDS Foundation was the central coordinating agency for all donations given to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints beyond tithing or fast offerings. The foundation is under the direction of the Presiding Bishopric of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Brigham Young University Annual Giving Fund was an extension of the LDS Foundation. The organization was renamed LDS Philanthopies in 2005.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series in UA 1009

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu