Associate Academic Vice-President records
Associate Academic Vice-President records
Collection contains materials from the Associate Academic Vice-Presidents from 1981 to 2001. These materials include correspondence, reports, notes, awards, and budgets. The materials pertain to University departments and faculty. The majority of the records are from the administrative terms of Dennis Thomson, L. Robert Webb, Noel Reynolds, John Tanner, and Jeffery Keith.
- Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.). -- 9 cartons (9 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1027
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 50 years (until 2052) following the end of the President's administration and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in seven series: I. Brigham Young University vice presidential correspondence, 1981-1989. II. Brigham Young University vice presidential recruitment applications, 1988-1989. III. Brigham Young University vice presidential rank advancement correspondence and reports, 1991-1995. IV. Brigham Young University vice presidential faculty records, 1993-1996. V. Noel Reynolds papers, 1984-2000. VI. John Tanner papers, 1992-1994. VII. Jeffery Keith papers, 1994-2001. The materials have been left in the original order in which they were found which appears to be chronological.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Associate Academic Vice President records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1027; Associate Academic Vice President records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1027, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in March 2003. Transferred from Records Management in April 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; March 2003. Transferred; Records Management; April 2009.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1027.xml
- Related Material
- See also Associate Academic Vice President records, 1977-1992 (UA 1110).
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education
- Genre / Form
- Awards; Budgets; Letters; Notes; Reports
- Processing Information
- Processed; J Gordon Daines III; March 2003. Processed; Matthew Leavitt; April 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Brigham Young University vice presidential records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by J. Gordon Daines III and Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-14T16:28-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The office of Academic Vice President at Brigham Young University was established around 1966. The position is responsible for administering university faculty, undergraduate studies, and research and graduate studies.
The position of Academic Vice president was established around 1966, though these functions had been established earlier. When Earl C. Crockett was appointed vice president in charge of finance and business administration in 1957, he was also given responsibility for the academic program at the university (except religion). Aside from his service as acting university president in 1964, Crockett operated in this position until his retirement in 1968. The office of Academic Vice President is responsible for undergraduate and graduate studies and research at the university, and has previously also included responsibilities for international studies, academic support, and computing. Between 1981 and 1989 the position was known as Provost and Academic Vice President, but in 1989 the position was split to allow the appointment of an independent provost. Academic Vice Presidents have included Crockett (1966-1968), Robert K. Thomas (1968-1980), Jae R. Ballif (1980-1989), Stan L. Albrecht (1989-1992), Todd A. Britsch (1992-1996), Alan L. Wilkins (1996-2004), John S. Tanner (2004-2011), and Brent W. Webb (2011- ).
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series I in UA 1027
Associate Academic Vice-President correspondence
Associate Academic Vice-President recruitment applications
Associate Academic Vice-President rank advancement correspondence and reports
Associate Academic Vice-President faculty records
Noel B. Reynolds papers
John S. Tanner papers
Jeffrey D. Keith papers
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives