Department of Evening Classes files

Department of Evening Classes files

Dates: 1953-1990

The Department of Evening Classes Department files contain self-study reports, department histories, class listings and schedules, and a Department scrapbook.

  • Extent: 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
  • Call Number: UA 1039
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public use.
Languages and Scripts
English
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Evening Classes files must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 1039; Department of Evening Classes files; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1039, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transfer from Records Management, June 2003 .
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1039.xml
Subject Terms
Colleges and Universities; Education
Genre / Form
Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Scrapbooks
Appraisal Information
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA1039
Finding Aid Title
Department of Evening Classes files
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:24-0700
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Biographical History

The current Department of Evening Classes began as a part of the Extension Division organized in 1921. It was called the Bureau of Lectures and Entertainments and its main purpose was to provide learning experiences, such as evening lectures, for the community around Brigham Young University, especially for groups from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 1949 an official policy concerning registration of evening classes, most of which involved learning about recreational pastimes. The first classes for academic credit were offered in 1953. In 1956 an independent Department of Evening School was formed in the Extension Division, which was renamed as the Division of Continuing Education in 1964. The Department of Evening School was renamed the Department of Evening Classes in 1960. The department has grown from offering just 3 classes for academic credit in 1953 to presently offering hundreds of classes.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu