Division of Continuing Education records
Division of Continuing Education records
Collection contains articles, reports, minutes, and dissertations from the division. Includes information on the division's programs, staff, and administration. Materials date from between 1921 and 2005.
- Extent: 1 oversize box (1 linear ft.). -- 1 half box (0.25 linear ft.). -- 31 boxes (15.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Adult Education and Extension Services. -- Brigham Young University. Extension Division
- Call Number: UA 1088
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2027) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in eight series: 1. Annual reports. 2. Centennial history. 3. Department records. 4. Course catalogs. 5. Advisory Council minutes. 6. Publications. 7. Faculty records. 8. Collection of dissertations. Maintained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Division of Continuing Education records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1088; Division of Continuing Education records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1088, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from the Division of Continuing Education prior to 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Division of Continuing Education.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1088.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Distance education--Utah--Provo; Education; University extension--Utah--Provo
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Corporate minutes; Dissertations, Academic; Reports
- Processing Information
- Processed; Katie Shull; February 2004. Processed; Elizabeth West; January 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Division of Continuing Education records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-17T04:24-0700
- Biographical Info:
The Extension Division (1921-1957) was the unit at Brigham Young University responsible for coordinating distance education and extension work.
The Extension Division was established in 1921 in a reorganization of the earlier Extension Department. It was charged with providing educational services to those outside the university campus, such as off-campus programs, lectures, classroom offerings, and correspondence courses. Directors of the division included Lowry Nelson (1921-1936), Harrison R. Merrill (1936-1939), Carlton Culmsee (1939-1944), Gerrit de Jong (Acting Director, 1944-1946), Thomas L. Broadbent (Acting Director, 1946-1947), and Harold Glen Clark (1947-1957). In 1957 the unit was renamed as Adult Education and Extension Services.
Adult Education and Extension Services (est. 1957) was the unit at Brigham Young University responsible for coordinating distance education and extension work.
The division of Adult Education and Extension Services was established in 1957 in a reorganization of the earlier Extension Division. The unit was charged with providing educational services to groups outside the normal day enrollment of the university. Harold Glen Clark served as the dean of the division from its establishment until its reorganization in 1964 as the Division of Continuing Education.
The Division of Continuing Education (est. 1964) is an administrative division at Brigham Young University responsible for coordinating distance education offerings, extension services, and conference planning.
Adult Education and Extension Services was renamed in 1964 and became the Division of Continuing Education. The division is designed to provide educational programs and services of the regular University day school to adults who do not have opportunities for day time study. The division services range from off-campus programs, lectures, correspondence study, and community services—both through the off-campus centers and extended programs in wide geographic areas—to formal on-campus classroom offerings, both credit and noncredit, extended and short-term in nature.
Departments within the Division of Continuing Education include the Bachelor of General Studies, Religious Enrichment, EFY Programs, Conferences and Workshops, Evening Classes, Independent Study, and the Salt Lake Center. Deans of the division have included Harold Glen Clark (1964-1973), Stanley A. Peterson (1973-1978), William R. Siddoway (1978-1986), Richard C. Eddy (1986-2009), and Wayne J. Lott (2009- ).
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1088
Division of Continuing Education annual reports
Division of Continuing Education centennial history
Division of Continuing Education department records
Division of Continuing Education course catalogs
Advisory Council minutes
Division of Continuing Education publications
Division of Continuing Education faculty records
Division of Continuing Education collection of dissertations
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives