Office of the President records
Office of the President records
Collection consist largely of his correspondence as president of Brigham Young University from 1921 to 1945. Among his papers are financial and budget papers related to his years as president, materials related to Brigham Young University facilities maintenance and construction, and materials related to Brigham Young University during World War II.
- Extent: 124 boxes (62 linear ft.)
- Creator: Harris, Franklin S. (Franklin Stewart), 1912
- Call Number: UA 1089
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in four series: 1. General correspondence. 2. Budget and financial records. 3. Records on World War II. 4. Campus facility files. Materials are in their original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young University President's Records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1089; Brigham Young University President's Records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1089, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1089.xml
- Subject Terms
- College presidents--Utah--Provo; Correspondence; Material Types
- Genre / Form
- Budgets; Letters
- Appraisal Information
- University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Office of the President records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2015-08-16T04:15-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Franklin Stewart Harris (1884-1960) was President of Brigham Young University from 1921 to 1945. During that time he helped the university grow both physically, with adding new buildings and also intellectually by hiring more teachers and establishing international connections for the University.
Franklin Stewart Harris was born August 29, 1884 in Benjamin, Utah. He moved with his family to the state of Chihuahua, Mexico in the 1890s to the Mormon colonies there. He would study at Brigham Young University and go on to Cornell to receive his doctorate. Harris served as president of Brigham Young University from 1921 until 1945. His administration was characterized by improvement in academics and by growth of the University's physical facilities, such as the construction of the Heber J. Grant Library building. Even with the financial pressures of the Great Depression from the late 1920s to the 1930s, Harris was able to help increase Brigham Young University attendance, library and campus facilities.
In 1945 Harris left Brigham Young University to be the president of the Utah State Agricultural College (what is now Utah State University). He died April 18, 1960 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1089
Office of the President general correspondence
Office of the President budget and finance records
Office of the President records on World War II
Office of the President campus facility files
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives