Karl G. Maeser correspondence
Karl G. Maeser correspondence
Contains photocopies, microfilm, and a few original documents of correspondence to and from Karl G. Maeser. Materials cover Maeser's personal life, time as principal of Brigham Young Academy, and time as superintendent of the General Church Board of Education. The correspondence is addressed to many individuals all over the Intermountain West and Mexico concerning education including several presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and their counselors. The materials date from 1861 to 1901.
- Extent: 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Maeser, Karl G.
- Call Number: UA 1094
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 50 years following the end of the President's administration and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Location of Originals
- Original letterpress copybooks: MS 1259; Church History Library; 15 East North Temple Street; Salt Lake City, Utah 84150.
- Arranged in three series: 1. Principal's Office correspondence. 2. General Church Board of Education correspondence. 3. Personal correspondence.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Karl G. Maeser correspondence must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Folder 4 of box 2 is currently missing.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1094; Karl G. Maeser correspondence; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1094, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Part of the Brigham Young University President's Records Collection.
- Other Finding Aids
- Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1094.xml
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Education--Great Basin; Brigham Young Academy--Presidents--Correspondence; Brigham Young Academy--Administration
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Microfilms; Photocopies
- Processing Information
- Processed; Joshua Barton; September 2012. Processed; Joseph Wiest; March 2013. Processed; Sadie Julian; February 2016.
- Appraisal Information
- University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Maeser (Karl G.) correspondence
- Finding Aid Author
- Jennifer Kim; Joshua Barton
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-10-06 16:57:42 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Karl G. Maeser (1828-1901) was a well-renown educator and principal in Utah, particularly respected for his integral role in establishing the theme and focus of Brigham Young Academy.
Maeser was born in Saxony, Germany in January 1928. Maeser went to school in Germany and gained training in teaching. He worked as a teacher and private tutor in and around Germany. Karl G. Maeser married Anna Mieth in 1854. Maeser was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1855. He left Germany in 1856 for the United States and arrived in Utah in 1860.
Karl G. Maeser was the second principal of Brigham Young Academy and served from 1876 until 1892. Under Maeser Brigham Young Academy established itself as one of the leading schools in Utah territory. Maeser placed the development of character above the development of intellect. In matters of morals and religious conduct, he saw things as black and white. He devised for Brigham Young Academy an intricate system of rules, regulations, and academic routine all designed to form habits of proper conduct.
In 1888 Maeser was made the first General Superintendent of Church Schools as part of the General Board of Education of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Maeser Published a book entitled "School and Fireside" in 1898 which reflected his views on education. He died in February 1901.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1094
Principal's Office correspondence
General Church Board of Education correspondence
Karl G. Maeser personal correspondence
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives