Department of History records
Department of History records
Collection contains meeting minutes, correspondence, budgets, faculty files, oral histories, historical files, and proposals related to the department. Includes information on faculty-student relations, faculty tenure and advancement, the history of the department, and departmental goals. Also includes biographical research on the life of J. Reuben Clark. Materials date from between 1960 and 1991.
- Extent: 28 boxes (14 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1113
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records (1991) and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of History records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1113; Department of History records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1113, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transfer from Records Management, July 2004.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; 2004.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1113.xml
- Related Material
- See also the Department of History records (UA 680).
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Provo (Utah)
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Oral histories; Photographs; Reports
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of History records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-16T04:32-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of History is an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The Department of History was established in 1921 as part of the College of Arts and Sciences, and was later transferred to College of Humanities and Social Sciences (1954), the College of Social Sciences (1965), and College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences (1981). It is responsible for providing instruction in history, including American and world history topics. Department chairs have included Christen Jensen (1921-1923, 1929-1948), William Snow (1924-1928), Russel B. Swensen (1949-1955), Richard D. Poll (1955-1958), Eugene E. Campbell (1958-1959, 1960-1968), De Lamar Jensen (1968-1973), Ted J. Warner (1973-1982), James B. Allen (1982-1987), Paul B. Pixton (1987-1994), Kendall W. Brown (1994-2000), Frank W. Fox (2000-2003), Neil L. York (2003-2006), Arnold H. Green (2006-2008), Shawn W. Miller (2008-2010), and Donald Harreld (2010- ).
comments powered by Disqus