Department of Technology records
Department of Technology records
Collection includes photographs, administrative records, correspondence, and memoranda. In addition, there are curriculum proposals, teaching materials, and numerous photographs and slides. All materials relate to the Department of Technology from 1955-1990.
- Extent: 5 cartons (5 linear ft.). -- 8 boxes (4 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Industrial Technology. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Technology
- Call Number: UA 1119
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2014) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into eight series: 1. Department chair records. 2. Department records. 3. Faculty reports. 4. Student records. 5. Visual and multimedia records. 6. Records on AT & T. 7. Records on Western Electric Company. 8. Records on government surplus. The materials have been left in the original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Department of Technology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1119; Department of Technology records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1119, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2004 and 2008. Additional materials added by the University Archivist in 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; June 2004. Transferred; Records Management; January 2008. Found; University Archives Workroom; July 2009.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1119.xml
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. Department of Technology--Archives; Colleges and Universities; Education; Production engineering--Study and teaching; Technology--Study and teaching
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Letters; Memorandums; Photographs; Reports; Slides (Photography)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Cory Nimer; July 2004. Processed; Elizabeth West; February 2008. Processed; Matthew Leavitt; July 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Technology records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-17T04:23-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Technology (1972-1990) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The department was established in 1972 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Industrial Technology, and provided course instruction in engineering and technology design, electronics, and manufacturing technologies, as well as aspects of construction management. It provided two-year associate's degrees for technicians and four-year bachelor's degrees. Department chairs included Ross "J" McArthur (1972-1979), Kay F. Brown (1979-1980), John J. Kunzler, Jr. (1981-1986), E. Max Raisor (1986-1987), J. L. Carroll (1987-1989), and John J. Kunzler (1989-1990).
The department reported to various colleges during its existence, including the College of Industrial and Technical Education (1972-1973), the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology (1973-1984), and the College of Engineering and Technology (1984-1990). In 1990 the department merged into the newly formed Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Technology.
The Department of Industrial Education (1959-1993) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The department was established in 1959 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Industrial Arts and Drawing. It provided baccalaureate programs for Industrial Arts and Technical Education teachers, as well as master's degree for master teacher certification as well as for coordinators, administrators, and supervisors in industrial and technical education. Courses taught by the department included Woodwork Fundamentals, Graphic Arts, Metal Crafts, and Lapidary.
The department resided in various parts of the university organization, including the General College (1959-1966), the College of Industrial and Technical Education (1966-1973), the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology (1973-1984), and the College of Engineering and Technology (1984-1993). In 1966 the department was split to create the Department of Industrial Technology. Department chairs in Industrial Education were Edwin C. Hinckley (1966-1972), William E. McKell (1972-1973), and Garth A. Hill (1984-1993). In 1993 the department was renamed as the Department of Technology Education and Construction Management.
The Department of Industrial Technology (1966-1972) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The department was established in 1966 in a split of the earlier Department of Industrial Education, and placed in the College of Industrial and Technical Education. The department offered a two-year associate's degree for industrial technicians, as well as four-year baccalaureate programs in Tool and Manufacturing Technology, Construction Technology, and Design and Drafting Technology. The department chair through this period was Ross "J" McArthur. In 1972 the department was reorganized as the Department of Technology.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1119
Department of Technology department chair records
Department of Technology department records
Department of Technology faculty reports
Department of Technology student records
Department of Technology visual and multimedia records
Department of Technology records on AT & T
Department of Technology records on Western Electric Company
Department of Technology records on government surplus
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives