Centennial Committee records
Centennial Committee records
Materials include a wide variety of documentation produced and collected by the Centennial Committee. This includes memorandums, meeting minutes, correspondence, publications, photographs, and other materials. These files contain information on most of the events that happened during the Centennial year, as well as various buttons and banners. A significant portion of the collection relates directly to the production of Brigham!, a musical dramatizing the founding and growth of Brigham Young University. Dated 1973-1976.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.). -- 3 oversize folders (0.3 linear ft.). -- 29 boxes (14.5 linear ft.). -- 1 half box (0.25 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Centennial Committee
- Call Number: UA 1124
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (1998) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection is arranged into fourteen subseries: 1. Centennial Committee event files, 1974-1976. 2. Centennial Committee chronological files, 1973-1976. 3. Centennial Committee general files, 1973-1976. 4. Centennial Committee records on college and departmental events, 1973-1976. 5. Centennial Committee publications, 1975-1976. 6. Centennial Committee clippings file, 1974-1976. 7. Centennial Committee research, 1923-1976. 8. Centennial Committee centennial guidebook, 1974-1975. 9. Centennial Committee collection on Brigham!, 1976. 10. Centennial Committee final report, 1976. 11. Centennial Committee collection on Right Honorable Saint, 1975. 12. Centennial Committee records on carillon tower, 1974. 13. Centennial Committee miscellaneous files, 1973-1976. 14. Centennial Committee ephemera, 1975-1976.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Centennial Committee records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Related title: Register of the Centennial Committee records, 1973-1976.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1124; Centennial Committee records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1124, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in the University Archives stacks, July 2004.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; University Stacks; 2004.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1124.xml
- Subject Terms
- Performing Arts; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Mormons--Drama; Provo (Utah); Provo (Utah)--Centennial celebrations, etc; Musicals--Vocal scores with piano; Wilkinson, Ernest L., 1899-1978; Dayley, K. Newell; Sundgaard, Arnold, 1909-2006; Brigham Young University--Centennial celebrations, etc.--History; Wheelwright, Lorin Farrar, 1909-1987; Cundick, Robert, 1926-2016; Brigham Young University. Centennial Committee--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Slides (Photography); Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Letters; Memorandums; Photographs; Negatives
- Processing Information
- Processed; J. Gordon Daines, III; 2004. Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer; March 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Centennial Committee records
- Finding Aid Author
- Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-01-05 12:36:25 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Centennial Committee (1970-1976) was organized by Brigham Young University to plan and execute the university's Centennial Celebration.
The Centennial Committee was organized in 1970 to prepare celebration activities for Brigham Young University's Centennial Celebration. There were twelve members, with Heber G. Wolsey as chairman. Upon Wolsey's resignation in 1973, President Dallin H. Oaks appointed Dr. Lorin F. Wheelwright chairman and executive leader of the Centennial. Dr. Wheelwright served as chair until 1976, when the Centennial Committee was disbanded. The Centennial was to be theme centered, and would encompass the creation of major monuments and artistic productions. The Centennial began in April 1975 and ended with commencement one year later, in April 1976.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1124
Centennial Committee event files
Centennial Committee chronological files
Centennial Committee general files
Centennial Committee records on college and departmental events
Centennial Committee publications
Centennial Committee clippings file
Centennial Committee research
Centennial Committee centennial guidebook
Centennial Committee collection on Brigham!
Centennial Committee final report
Centennial Committee collection on Right Honorable Saint
Centennial Committee records on carillon tower
Centennial Committee miscellaneous files
Centennial Committee ephemera
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives