M.L. Bean Museum records
M.L. Bean Museum records
This collection includes office records from the Monte L. Bean Museum including files relating to the dedication, accounting records, annual progress reports, organizational charts, and correspondence. There are also ten volumes of research diaries of Robert G. Bee in his studies of ornithology mostly in the state of Utah from the years 1924-1962.
- Extent: 2 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: M.L. Bean Museum
- Call Number: UA 1132
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection is divided in three series: 1. Monte L. Bean Museum correspondence, 1971-1983; 2. Monte L. Bean Museum general office files, undated; and 3. Robert G. Bee ornithological notes, 1924-1962.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Monte L. Bean Museum records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 1132; Monte L. Bean Museum records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 1132, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred to University Archives in 1991.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Monte L. Bean Museum; 1991.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1132.xml
- Subject Terms
- Bee, Robert G. (Robert George), 1882-1967--Diaries; M.L. Bean Museum; Museums--Utah--Provo; Natural history museums--Utah--Provo; Provo (Utah); Science; Science, Technology, and Health
- Genre / Form
- Annual reports; Business records
- Processing Information
- Processed; J. Gordon Daines III & Kenneth Bullard; 2004.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- M.L. Bean Museum records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by J. Gordon Daines III and Kenneth Bullard
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-09T14:21-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
The M.L. Bean Museum (1978- ) is a zoological museum at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.
The Monte L. Bean Museum is a fully functional, accredited, professional museum at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. The museum was a gift of Monte L. Bean, a prominent Seattle businessman, and his wife, Birdie. This building was completed in 1978. Its vast teaching and research collections include nearly two million arthropods, fish, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, birds, and prepared shells, and more than 600,000 plants and lichens. Specimens for these collections, which represent creative work by university faculty and students, have been gathered throughout the world, making the museum one of the major repositories of scientific material in the western United States.
The museum and its collections are utilized by university classes in integrative biology, plant and animal science, education, art, and other disciplines. The Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum also maintains and manages the Lytle Nature Preserve for the university. Located in the northernmost extension of the Mojave Desert southwest of St. George, Utah, this 562-acre desert classroom is in a part of Utah that is unique not only for its plant and animal communities but also for its setting.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1132
M.L. Bean Museum correspondence and memorandums
M.L. Bean Museum general office files
Robert G. Bee ornithological notes
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives