Language Research Center records
Language Research Center records
Contains reports, meeting minutes, projects, proposals, research grants, budgets, and correspondence for the Language Research Center from 1971-1978.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Center for Specialized Language Studies. -- Brigham Young University. Language Research Center
- Call Number: UA 1138
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are left in their original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Language Research Center must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1138; Language Research Center; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1138, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from the Language Research Center.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Language Research Center; 1989. Transferred; Language Research Center; 2004.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1138.xml
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. Language Research Center--Archives; Colleges and Universities; Education; Intercultural communication; Language and languages; Provo (Utah)
- Genre / Form
- Budgets; Corporation reports; Letters; Papers (Document genres)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kayla Quinney; April 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Language Research Center records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kayla Quinney
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-02T04:04-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Center for Specialized Language Studies was a research center at Brigham Young University.
The center was established in 1970 as part of the College of Humanities, with responsibility for the promotion and supervision of language research and scholarship on campus. This included work on language research and services, teaching English to speakers of other languages, and language teacher training. The center was administered by Ernest J. Wilkins. In 1973 the center was reorganized as the Language Research Center.
The Language Research Center was formed in 1970 under direction of Dr. R. Max Rogers under the name of Center for Specialized Language Studies. It was created to promote research and scholarship in the languages. It was later in the Summer of 1970 that the center's name was changed to Language Research Center and put under the supervision of Ernest J. Wilkins. One of the projects under the Language Research Center's jurisdiction was the Intercultural Data Bank (ICDB). This was used to gather information for further understandings of foreign customs and languages. The Center conducted valuable research that helped lift the University to higher levels concerning languages and international cultures.
comments powered by Disqus