Department of Dance records
Department of Dance records
Collection concerning the Department of Dance, and includes dance instructions for a wide variety of dances, Mutual Improvement Association files, meeting minutes, reports, surveys, reviews, memoranda, correspondence, internal reviews, accreditation files and other materials for the period between 1953 and 2008.
- Extent: 8 boxes (4 linear ft.). -- 3 cartons (3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Dance. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Physical Education-Dance. -- Brigham Young University. College of Physical Education
- Call Number: UA 1140
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2033) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into six series: 1. C. Vern Yates papers, 1953-1973. 2. Department of Dance records on the Mutual Improvement Associations, 1957-1973. 3. Department of Dance records on performance tours, 1980-1984. 4. Department of Dance administrative records, 1954-1989. 5. Department of Dance records on national organizations, 1984-2008. 6. Department of Dance programs, 1981-1997.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Dance records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1140; Department of Dance records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1140, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in July 2004. Transferred from the Department of Dance in October 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; July 2004. Transferred; Department of Dance; October 2014.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1140.xml
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Dance--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo--History; Dance--Utah--Provo--History; Brigham Young University. Department of Dance; Brigham Young University. Department of Physical Education-Dance; Brigham Young University. College of Physical Education; Brigham Young University. Department of Dance--History
- Genre / Form
- Reports; Letters; Notes; Corporate minutes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Rose Frank; 2004. Processed; Hannah Waddel; January 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Dance records
- Finding Aid Author
- Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-23 09:32:44 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Dance (1993- ) was organized to focus on the instruction of dance at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Dance at Brigham Young University was originally established as the Department of Physical Education--Dance in 1980. Prior to that time, dance instruction was administered by the Department of Physical Education for Women, though it was treated as a division of the College of Physical Education. The Deparment of Dance became its own section of the college in 1993. The department provides instruction in dance, dance education, and music-dance-theater.
The Department of Physical Education--Dance (1980-1993) was a part of the College of Physical Education.
The Department of Physical Education--Dance was established in 1980 as part of a reorganization of the College of Physical Education. The department provided instruction in dance, dance education, and music-dance-theater. In 1993 the department was renamed the Department of Dance.
The College of Physical Education (1960-1998) was a department of Brigham Young University.
The College of Physical Education was formed at Brigham Young University in 1960 in a reorganization of the earlier College of Recreation, Physical and Health Education, and Athletics. The college was responsible for administering academic departments responsible for recreation management, physical and health education, and dance. It also administered intramural sports, and intercollegiate sports until 1975. In 1998 it was renamed the College of Health and Human Performance.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1140
C. Vern Yates papers
College of Physical Education records on the Mutual Improvement Associations
Department of Physical Education--Dance records on performance tours
Department of Physical Education--Dance administrative records
Department of Dance programs
Department of Dance records on national organizations
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives