Graduate Studies records
Graduate Studies records
Materials include records created by the Graduate School and Graduate Studies programs. The materials focus on the relationship between the Graduate programs and other areas, such as the colleges and departments, the library and general education. The materials consist of correspondence, reports, memos, and reports. The collection focuses on the the individual programs and on the university-wide changes to the graduate programs. The materials are from 1972 to 2009.
- Extent: 8 cartons (8 linear ft.). -- 13 boxes (6.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Graduate Studies
- Call Number: UA 1141
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (2034) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in six series: 1. Records on academics. 2. Graduate Studies records on administration, 1972-1981. 3. Graduate Studies records on general education, 1972-1981. 4. Graduate Studies records on School of Library and Information Sciences, 1972-1981. 5. Graduate Studies records on reports, 1972-1981. 6. Graduate Studies records on department and college reviews, 1959-2009.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Graduate Studies records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1141; Graduate Studies records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1141, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2004 and 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferrred; Records Management; July 2004. Transferred; Records Management; June 2013.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1141.xml
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. Graduate Studies--Archives; Colleges and Universities; Education; Provo (Utah); Universities and colleges--Graduate work
- Genre / Form
- Annual reports; Corporate minutes; Letters; Notes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Lindell; September 2004. Processed; Joshua Barton; September 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Graduate Studies records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim; Joshua Barton
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-09T04:26-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Graduate Studies (1986- ) was established from the Graduate School. The purpose of Graduate Studies is to coordinate and structure the graduate programs at Brigham Young University. Graduate Studies works with departments and colleges across the University to formulate admission, academic and curriculum standards. Formerly the Graduate School, Graduate Studies was established in 1986. The school operates under the direction of a Dean. The following have served: Marilyn Arnold (1986-1990), J. Keith Rigby (1990-1991), Marilyn Arnold (1991-1993), Addie Fuhriman (1993-1999), Bonnie Brinton (1999-2009), and Wynn Stirling (2009-). Graduate Studies serves as the central administrative body for the graduate programs at Brigham Young University. It officiates admissions, graduation, and acts as a liaison between the departments, students, and University. Graduate Studies collaborates with the faculty and departments to offer a wide variety of Masters and Doctoral programs. Graduate Studies, the Graduate Council, and the University president work together to establish graduation requirements, curriculum guidelines, and admissions standards. Most activities that fall outside of the individual departments of instruction, such as admission, are routed through the central Office of Graduate Studies.
The Graduate School (1929-1986) was to develop, coordinate and operate the graduate programs at Brigham Young University. The Graduate School also worked with coordinating and planning so that undergraduate and graduate level classes would be compatible for the university. The Graduate School was renamed Graduate Studies.
The Graduate School was established in 1929 to fulfill the need of education past the bachelor's degree. It operated under the guidance of a Dean. It also was under the guidance of a faculty-based council; the Council of the Graduate School (1946-1950), the General Committee of the Graduate School (1950-1957), and the Graduate Council (1957- ). The School also was under review of the President of the University. The following have served as Deans of the Graduate School: Christen Jensen (1929-1949), Asahel Woodruff (1949-1953), Christen Jensen (1953-1954), George Hansen (1954-57), A. Smith Pond (1957-1959), Wesley P. Lloyd (1960-1970), Chauncey C. Riddle (1970-1980). In 1986, the collection of graduate programs was renamed Graduate Studies. The Graduate School served as the central administrative body for the graduate programs at Brigham Young University. It officiated admissions, graduation, and acted as a liaison between the departments, students, and University. The programs within the School offered degrees at the Masters and Doctoral level. The School, Council, and University president worked together to establish graduation requirements, curriculum guidelines, and admissions standards.
The Graduate School operated directly under a Dean. In addition to the Dean, the school also was under the administration of a faculty-based council, as well as the review of the University president.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1141
Graduate School records on academics
Graduate School administrative records
Graduate School records on general education
Graduate School records on School of Library and Information Sciences
Graduate School reports
Graduate Studies records on department and college reviews
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives