Admissions and Records Office records
Admissions and Records Office records
Contains correspondence, reports, audio and video recordings, transparencies, slides, photographs, and other materials created and collected by the office. Includes information on university admissions, technology, international relations, commencement, financial aid, scholarships, spring and summer programs, freshmen students, undergraduate students. Also contains information on professional organizations for college registrars. Materials date from between 1963 and 2001.
- Extent: 3 oversize boxes (6 linear ft.). -- 6 cartons (6 linear ft.). -- 208 boxes (104 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Admissions and Records Office
- Call Number: UA 1156
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2036) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in seventeen series: 1. Administrative records. 2. Correspondence on programs. 3. Correspondence on technology. 4. International correspondence. 5. Correspondence on commencement. 6. Correspondence on financial aid and scholarships. 7. Correspondence on spring and summer programs. 8. Correspondence on freshmen. 9. Correspondence on undergraduate students. 10. Correspondence on American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. 11. Correspondence on Utah Student Loan Program. 12. Correspondence on Church Educational System. 13. Photographs. 14. Records on commencement. 15. Audio and visual recordings. 16. Transparencies and slides. 17. Correspondence, minutes, and other material.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Admissions and Records Office records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1156; Admissions and Records Office records; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1156, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Initial installment transferred from Records Management in December 2004. Additional materials were added in June 2005.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; 2004. Transferred; Records Management; 2005.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1156.xml
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. Admissions and Records Office--Archives; Colleges and Universities; Commencement ceremonies--Utah--Provo; Education; School enrollment--Utah--Provo
- Genre / Form
- Audiotapes; Letters; Photographs; Transparencies; Videotapes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Jo Lindell; 2005.
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Admissions and Records Office records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-09T04:23-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Office of Admissions and Records (1956-2001) was an administrative office at Brigham Young University.
The Office of Admissions and Records was established in 1956 and was designed to help students from their first inquiry about BYU. The office also worked with faculty, parents, BYU administration and agencies that require information about student records. The responsibility of the office is divided into eleven supervised areas. These include the Admissions Adviser Program, High School & Junior College Relations, Financial Aids, Admissions Office, Registrar, Evaluation—Transfer and Graduation, Data Collection and Analysis, Microfilm Services, Academic Advisement, and cooperating with the Educational Information and Guidance Center.
Admissions and Records was under the direction of a dean and administered regularly over the Admissions Office, Records Office, and Registrars. Over some periods it also was over the Admissions Advisers Program, the Coordinator of Financial Aids, and the Statistics and Veterans officer. The office of Admissions and Records was under the direction of these deans: Bliss H. Crandal (1956-1959), Alma P. Burton (1959-1964), William R. Siddoway (1964-1972), Robert W. Spencer (1974-1991), Erlend D. Peterson (1992-2001).
The Office of Admissions and Records was renamed Student Academic and Advisement Services in 2001.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1156
Admissions and Records Office administrative records
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on programs
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on technology
Admissions and Records Office international correspondence
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on commencement
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on financial aid and scholarships
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on spring and summer programs
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on freshmen
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on undergraduate students
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on Utah Student Loan Program
Admissions and Records Office correspondence on Church Educational System
Admissions and Records Office photographs
Admissions and Records Office records on commencement
Admissions and Records Office audio and visual recordings
Admissions and Records Office transparencies and slides
Admissions and Records Office correspondence, minutes, and other material
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives