Special Events Department records
Special Events Department records
This collection contains correspondence, meeting minutes, concert files, event files, and posters documenting the activities of the Special Events Department from 1963 to 2003.
- Extent: 2 oversize boxes (2 linear ft.). -- 25 boxes (12.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Special Events Department
- Call Number: UA 1172
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (2028) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in English.
- Arranged in 6 series: 1. Special Events Department correspondence, 1972-1993. 2. Special Events Department meeting minutes, 1969-2003. 3. Special Events Department general files, 1963-1990. 4. Special Events Department concert files, 1972-1993. 5. Special Events Department event files, 1971-1999. 6. Special Events Department posters, approximately 1980-approximately 1990.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Special Events Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1172; Special Events Department records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1172, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from the Special Events Department in February 2005.
- Acquisition Information
- Transfered; Special Events Dept.; Feb 2005.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1172.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Commencement ceremonies; Education; Provo (Utah); Religious gatherings--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Genre / Form
- Business records; Concerts; Corporate minutes; Financial records; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; March 2005. Processed; Megan Furcini; May 2011. Processed; Joseph Wiest; March 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Special Events Department records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Megan Furcini
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:54-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Brigham Young University Special Events Department (1972 - ) currently facilitates events held only in LaVell Edwards Stadium and the Marriott Center.
The Special Events Department was established in 1972 when the Marriott Center was built. The department was involved in the planning, executing, and recapping of events on Brigham Young University campus. Currently the department only facilitates events held in LaVell Edwards Stadium and the Marriott Center.
The Special Events Department was established to oversee events on campus; specifically the Marriott Center and, later, the LaVell Edwards Stadium. This department managed ticket sales, scheduling, catering, and any other aspects of facilitating usage of campus facilities for events. The department helped manage events such as firesides, devotionals, forums, ASBYU concerts, lyceums, University productions, high school events, football, and basketball.
The Special Events Department was overseen by an office head. Later this job was taken over by the individual heads of the Marriott Center and LaVell Edwards Stadium. This department was, at one time, subject to review by an advisory committee as well as General Services and the Vice President of the University.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1172
Special Events Department correspondence
Special Events Department meeting minutes
Special Events Department general files
Special Events Department concert files
Special Events Department event files
Special Events Department posters
Dates: approximately 1980-approximately 1990
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives