• Home
  • UA 1183
  • Division of Continuing Education gerontology research records

Division of Continuing Education gerontology research records

Division of Continuing Education gerontology research records

Dates: 1974-1982

Collection consists of gerontology research under the Division of Continuing Education. It houses information on classes for the elderly, minutes from Executive Committee meetings, letters, and pamphlets about gerontology course offerings from colleges and universities around the United States.

  • Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)
  • Call Number: UA 1183
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
Languages and Scripts
English
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Division of Continuing Education gerontology research records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 1183; Division of Continuing Education gerontology research records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1183, LTPSC.
Acquisition Information
Transferred from Records Management, April 2005.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1183.xml
Subject Terms
Aging; Colleges and Universities; Continuing education; Education; Gerontology; Mormon missionaries--Training of; Provo (Utah)
Genre / Form
Corporate minutes; Letters; Pamphlets; Reports
Appraisal Information
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA1183
Finding Aid Title
Division of Continuing Education gerontology research records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-18T04:26-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Biographical/Historical note

The Division of Continuing Education, which today serves more than 300,000 students, owes its existence to President Franklin S. Harris, who in 1921 organized the Extension Division, out of which the Division of Continuing Education has grown. In 1946, a quarter of a century later, President Howard S. McDonald appointed Harold Glen Clark to replace Lowry Nelson as director of the Extension Division. Clark immediately saw the great potential of his new assignment and the Extension Division began to make great progress. The unusual growth of continuing education during Clark's tenure was due to several factors. There was a remarkable growth in the Church itself. The teachings of the Church create within the members a desire to continue their learning and to broaden their experience. After World War II the educational systems of the country allowed more flexibility in the extension of services to a wide audience. The cultural, economic, and social conditions of the world encouraged new forms of educational service. And, finally, the dedicated faculty was willing to serve broad educational interests. A number of years ago a California educator from a prestigious institution, who had been invited to attend one of BYU's Education Week programs, commented, "This is all very fine, and we could do the same thing except for two reasons: First, our faculty wouldn't teach, and, second, the students wouldn't come." The 300,000-member student body of Continuing Education resulted from taking willing teachers to eager students wherever they might be. When he left the University in 1971 to become president of the new Provo Temple, Harold Glen Clark turned over to new director Stanley A. Peterson a well-structured organization for disseminating educational materials and programs. Adult education had been explored, developed, and promoted on three broad fronts: evening classes, education weeks, and off-campus centers. Other projects included special workshops and seminars. Building on that foundation, Peterson has led Continuing Education through five years of spectacular growth, and the new income has at least doubled.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu