Department of Statistics records
Department of Statistics records
This collection contains correspondence, meeting minutes, faculty notes, news articles, department history files, and statistics summer institute binders.
- Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.). -- 3 cartons (3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Statistics
- Call Number: UA 1188
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in six series: 1. Department of Statistics notes and meeting minutes, 1973-1993. 2. Department of Statistics newspapers, 1974-1990. 3. Department of Statistics studies and research, 1968-1976. 4. Department of Statistics department history, 1966-1989. 5. Department of Statistics information on the major, 1981-1982. 6. Department of Statistics summer institute applied statistics participant binders, 1976-2011.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Statistics records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1188; Department of Statistics records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1188, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from records management in May 2005.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; May 2005.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1188.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Statistics; Brigham Young University. Department of Statistics
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Letters; Corporate minutes
- Processing Information
- Addendum processed; Erin Owens; September 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Statistics records
- Finding Aid Author
- Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-13 13:25:15 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Statistics (1960-) is responsible for teaching courses related to statistics at Brigham Young University.
In the mid 1950s Brigham Young University's President Ernest L. Wilkinson created the Bureau of Church Studies. In order to predict for facilitating in church education Wilkinson hired Howard Nielson to start a study that would predict church membership and university age membership up until the year 2000. This study was finishied in 1957, and Nielson was given a job as a teacher in the economics department. A year later Nielson was given a job offer at IBM for 3 times the Brigham Young University salary. He discussed this with Dean Weldon Taylor. Dean Taylor did not want to lose Nielson. Therefore, in 1960, Taylor created a statistics department, and Nielson stayed on.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series I in UA 1188
Department of Statistics notes and meeting minutes
Department of Statistics newspapers
Department of Statistics studies and research
Department of Statistics department history
Department of Statistics information on the major
Department of Statistics Summer institute applied statistics participant binders
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives