Department of Zoology records
Department of Zoology records
Materials include minutes, awards, correspondence, reports, and course information pertaining to the faculty, courses, and administrative functions of the Department of Zoology. Dated 1959-2001.
- Extent: 6 boxes (3 linear ft.). -- 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Zoology and Entomology. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Zoology
- Call Number: UA 1195
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2026) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are arranged into 3 series: 1. Department of Zoology minutes, 1960-1978. 2. Department of Zoology awards, 1984-1999. 3. Department of Zoology academic and faculty materials, 1959-2001.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Zoology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- This collection was previously titled Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology. There is a newer collection containing materials pertaining only to the Department of Physiology and Developmental Biolgy, its call number is UA 5640.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1195; Department of Zoology records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1195, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in June 2005 and in March 2010. Transferred from the Elden Beck Papers. Transferred from Records Management in May 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; June 2005. Transferred; Records Management; March 2010. Transferred; Elden Beck Papers. Transferred; Records Management; May 2013.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1195.xml
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. Department of Zoology and Entomology; Colleges and Universities; Education; Lectures and lecturing--Utah--Provo
- Genre / Form
- Awards; Corporate minutes; Letters; Reports
- Courses and lectures
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Jo Lindell; June 2005. Processed; Elizabeth West; January 2008. Processed; Matthew Leavitt; June 2009 and April 2010. Processed; Joseph Wiest; May 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Zoology records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-06-03T10:55-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Zoology and Entomology (1925-1972) was a department at Brigham Young University which focused on various branches of biological sciences.
The Department of Zoology and Entomology was established and placed in the College of Arts and Sciences when the Department of Biology was abolished in 1925. In 1972 it was renamed the Department of Zoology. Department chairmen were Vasco M. Tanner (1927-1957), C. Lynn Hayward (1958-1961), D. Elden Beck (1962-1965), A. Lester Allen (1966-1970).
The Department of Zoology and Entomology was responsible for teaching courses in zoology and entomology. The courses included: zoology, hygiene and sanitation, entomology, heredity and eugenics, invertebrate zoology, vertebrate zoology, insect morphology and classification, human physiology, practical lecture on health, and graduate courses in advanced undergraduate courses. By 1954 the department also taught courses in: anatomy, genetics, mammalogy, ornithology, ichthyology, herpetology, and parasitology.
The Department of Zoology and Entomology was a department with in the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1954 the department was placed under the direction of the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences until 1972.
The Department of Zoology (1972-2002) was a department at Brigham Young University which focused on a wide range of biological sciences.
The Department of Zoology was established by the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences in 1972. When the college was renamed the College of Biology and Agriculture in 1983 the department remained until it was disbanded in 2002. Department chairmen included Joseph R. Murphy (1972-1975), Clive D. Jorgensen (1975-1981), Ferron L. Andersen (1981-1983), Richard W. Heninger (1983-1989), H. Duane Smith (1989- 1995), Richard R. Tolman (1995- 1999), and John D. Bell (1999-2002).
The Department of Zoology included courses on human biology, preview of optometry, preview into dentistry, environmental biology, human anatomy, human physiology, human heredity and reproduction, marine biology, medical parasitology, veterinary parasitology, field entomology, bioethics, preview into medicine, natural history of wildlife, ecology, sociobiology, insect ecology laboratory, freshwater biology, comparative vertebrate anatomy, genetics and molecular biology, cellular and developmental biology, development of marine animals, disease of fish, aquaculture, insect morphology, insect physiology, insect classification, ichthyology, herpetology, ornithology, mammalogy, wildlife and fishery management techniques, fishery biology, principles of physiology, physiology and drug mechanisms, evolutionary science, human genetics, human embryology, economic entomology, medical entomology, comparative toxicology, aquatic entomology, immature insects, advanced topics in zoology, and endocrinology.
The department was administered by a department chairman, under the direction of the college dean. The college was associated with two colleges during its history including the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1972-1983) and the College of Biology and Agriculture (1983-2002).
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1195
Department of Zoology minutes
Department of Zoology awards
Department of Zoology academic and faculty materials
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives