Department of Geology records
Department of Geology records
Collection pertains to the Department of Geology and includes meeting minutes, scholarship information, TA contracts, geology newsletters, photographs, negatives, slides, annual reports, comencement programs, spring research conference programs and theses. Dates range from 1971-2009.
- Extent: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.). -- 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Geological Sciences
- Call Number: UA 1196
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records until 2036 and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Geology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1196; Department of Geology records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1196, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred; Records Management; June 2005. Transferred; Records Management; December 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred from Records Management, June 2005. Transferred from Records Management, December 2012.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1196.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Geology; Research
- Genre / Form
- Conference programs; Corporate minutes; Negatives; Pamphlets; Photographs; Reports; Slides (Photography)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Jennifer Kim; September 2011 Processed; Joseph Wiest; December 2012
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Geology records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T13:03-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Geological Sciences (est. 2006) is part of the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences at Brigham Young University.
Since the creation of the Department of Geological Sciences in 2006, Jeffrey D. Keith had been the department chair. Prior to 2006 the department was called the Department of Geology.
The Department of Geological Sciences offered undergraduate degrees in Earth and Space Science Education and Geology (with an optional emphasis in Environmental Geology). Offered minors included Geology and Geology Teaching. A graduate degree was also offered in Geology. Some of the diverse disciplines included general geology, plate tectonics, geochemistry, geophysics, paleontology, environmental geology, petroleum geology, hydrogeology, paleoclimatology, and planetary geology.
The Department of Geology (1968-2006) was a part College of Physical and Engineering Sciences at Brigham Young University.
Previously, it was known as the Department of Geology and Geological Engineering Science. In 2006 the department was called the Department of Geological Sciences. The Department Chairs were: Lehi F. Hintze (1968-1970); W. Revell Phillips (1973-1975); Morris S. Petersen (1975-1983); Dana T. Griffin (1991-1997); Bart J. Kowallis (1997-2003); and Jeffrey D. Keith (2003-2006).
The Department of Geology offered bachelor's degrees in earth science, geology, and geological engineering.
comments powered by Disqus