Brigham Young University sound recordings
Brigham Young University sound recordings
Contains audio recordings of events associated with Brigham Young University and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The events include meetings, speeches, performances, and graduation. Dated 1941-2015.
- Extent: 420 cartons (420 linear ft.). -- 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University
- Call Number: UA 1197
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public access. Advanced notice needed to make reel-to-reel tapes available in a playable format.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into four series: 1. Sound recordings of Brigham Young University events, 1941-2014. 2. Sound recordings of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints events, 1942-2012. 3. Sound recordings, 1951-1968. 4. Digital copies of Brigham Young University sound recordings, 1953-2015. The material is arranged by audio reel number, which is the original order of the material.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young University sound recordings must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1197; Brigham Young University sound recordings; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1197, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management (had been requested from the Granite Mountain Vaults by Dennis Welker), June 2005 and February 2006. Additional materials transferred from the Granite Mountain Vault in June 2007. Additional material was transferred from Granite Mountain Vault in September 2013 and 2016.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; June 2005 and February 2006. Transferred; Granite Mountain Vault; June 2007. Tansferrred; Granite Mountain Vault; September 2013. Transferred; Office of Information Technology; January 2015.
- Other Finding Aids
- A more detailed finding aid and item list available in the repository. A box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1197.xml
- Related Material
- See also the Office of Information Technology records (UA 951), and the Department of Athletics tapes (UA 5426).
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Mormon Church; Education; Brigham Young University; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Genre / Form
- Sound recordings
- Processing Information
- Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; February 2006. Processed; Jacob Smith; 2007. Processed; Matthew Leavitt; February 2010. Processed; Sarah Markle; May 2014. Processed; Hannah Waddel; October 2014. Processed; Eric Wolford; August 2016.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Brigham Young University sound recordings
- Finding Aid Author
- Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-12-02 13:49:29 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Brigham Young University (1903- ) is a university sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Provo, Utah.
Brigham Young University was established in 1903 in a renaming of Brigham Young Academy. Past and present Brigham Young University presidents include George H. Brimhall (1903-1921), Franklin S. Harris (1921-1945), Howard S. McDonald (1945-1949), (acting president) Christian Jensen (1949-1951), Ernest L. Wilkinson (1951-1971), Dallin H. Oaks (1971-1980), Jeffrey R. Holland (1980-1989), Rex E. Lee (1989-1995), Merrill J. Bateman (1996-2003), and Cecil O. Samuelson (2003- ).
Brigham Young University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the Church Educational System (CES). The university is governed by a Board of Trustees, which, since 1939, has consisted of the First Presidency of the Church as well as other General Authorities or general officers of the Church appointed by the First Presidency. The Board of Trustees provides general direction and oversees the formulation of broad policies as well as the approval of all executive leadership and faculty appointments at the university. The Board of Trustees delegates to the University President the responsibility to conduct the operations of the institution and administer the policies enacted by the board. The President serves as the chief executive officer and general manager of the University. Since 1996, the President of the university has also been a General Authority of the Church.
Brigham Young University has grown from a small academy to one of the world's largest private universities. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU offers a unique educational environment that promotes learning by study and also by faith.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1197
Sound recordings of Brigham Young University events
Sound recordings of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints events
Compact discs of Brigham Young University sound recordings
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives