Graduate School records
Graduate School records
Dates: bulk 1983-1986, 1983-1986
This collection consists solely of Graduate Council meeting minutes from 1983-1986.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1199
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Graduate School records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1199; Graduate School records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1199, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management, June 2005.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1199.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Graduate School records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:24-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Graduate program began in 1921 with Christen Jensen serving as chairman. Later, in 1929, the Graduate School was formally organized and Jensen was then appointed as Dean of the school. Asahel D. Woodruff took over in 1949 after Jensen's retirement. Following Woodruff were George H. Hansen in 1954 and A. Smith Pond in 1957. George H. Hansen served as acting dean during the summer of 1959 after Pond suffered a heart attack and died on 2 April 1959. Steward L. Grow was then appointed acting dean for the 1959-60 school year. When President Wilkinson came to BYU in 1961, he organized many of the doctoral programs. In 1960 Wesley P. Lloyd was appointed dean and served for 9 years. Under Lloyd, the Graduate School became a member of the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States and continued its role in the Western Association of Graduate Schools. When Lloyd resigned in 1969, Chauncey C. Riddle was appointed as the new dean. In the time since the Graduate Studies program was organized to Riddle's administration, Brigham Young University has awarded 9,331 master's degrees, and 882 doctoral degrees were conferred between 1960 and 1975.
comments powered by Disqus