College of Nursing records
College of Nursing records
College of Nursing records contains budget records for the college, administrative records including student and faculty evaluation records, employment surveys outlining what students did with their degrees, meeting minutes for various committees and councils associated with the College of Nursing, department correspondence, and academic records.
- Extent: 19 cartons (19 linear ft.). -- 10 boxes (5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1207
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Collection is arranged into four series: I. College of Nursing budget records, 1984-1989. II. College of Nursing administrative records, 1971-2006. III. College of Nursing meeting minutes, reports, and correspondence, 1970-2007. and IV. College of Nursing academic records, 1955-2006.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the College of Nursing records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1207; College of Nursing records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1207, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in August 2005. Transferred from Records Management in November 2007. Transferred from Records Management in October 2008. Transferred from Records Management in July 2011.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; August 2005. Trasnferred; Records Management; November 2007. Transferred; Records Management; October 2008. Transferred; Records Management; July 2011.
- Other Finding Aids
- Folder level finding aid available for the first ten boxes.
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Education, Higher--Utah--Provo; Nursing--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Records
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Jo Lindell; August 2005. Processed; Matthew Bowers Leavitt; November 2007. Processed; Elizabeth West; October 2008. Processed; Elizabeth West; July 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- College of Nursing records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Amanda Jo Lindell
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-11T04:23-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The College of Nursing (1958-) is a college at Brigham Young University.
The School of Nursing was renamed the College of Nursing in 1958. The college existed under a humanistic approach to nursing, focusing on the intrinsic worth of the individual, his or her ability to function in an environment, to be interdependent, and to operate independently. The college first allowed students into the baccalaureate program with advanced standing beginning in the fall of 1966. The following individuals have served as deans of the college: L. Bernice Chapman (1959-1960), Beulah Ream Allen (1961-1965), Lennia Morrison (1966-1967), Elaine Murphy (1968-1971), Maxine J. Cope (1972-1980), Elaine D. Dyer (1980-1987), June Leifson (1987-1994), Sandra Rogers (1994-2000), Elaine S. Marshall (2000-2007), and Mary Williams (2007-).
In September of 1963, the associate degree in the College of Nursing was established, making it one of the few institutions in the country to offer an associate degree in conjunction with a four-year program. During the late 1960s, the college faculty made a change in the curriculum, requiring students to learn the separate role of nursing in correlation to the reaction of an individual to varied circumstances affecting him socially, emotionally, physically, mentally, and/or spiritually, which can be referred to as the nursing model. The previous method of study was known as the medical model, which had students study and practice nursing in relation to specific diseases.
The School of Nursing (1952-1958) was a college at Brigham Young University.
The School of Nursing was established in 1952. Vivian Hansen worked as dean from 1952 until 1954 and was replaced by L. Bernice Chapman (1955-1958) who went on to serve as dean of the College of Nursing. The School of Nursing was renamed the College of Nursing in 1958.
The School of Nursing was originally organized due to the reorientation of national nursing education programs to collegiate environments. It was deemed necessary to have the church's nursing education centered at Brigham Young University.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1207
College of Nursing budget records
College of Nursing administrative records
College of Nursing meeting minutes, reports, and correspondence
College of Nursing academic records
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives