English Department records
English Department records
The collection contains materials from the English Department dating 1984-2004. These materials include correspondence, course outlines, reports, minutes, and theses.
- Extent: 14 cartons (14 linear ft.). -- 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1208
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2029) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection has been divided into four series: I. English Department course outlines, 1987-2004; II. English Department departmental records, 1984-1998; III. English Department graduate department files, 1989-2003; IV. English Department faculty files, 1984-1999. The materials have been left in the original order in which they were found. This order appears to be grouped by subject with most of the materials in chronological order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from English Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1208; English Department records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1208, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in August 2005. Transferred from Records Management in April 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; August 2005. Transferred; Records Management; April 2009.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1208.xml
- Related Material
- See also Brigham Young University. English Dept. Composition Office correspondence, 1982-1984 (UA SC 12). See also Brigham Young University. English Dept. records, 1934-1935 (UA 20). See also Brigham Young University. English Dept. Department chair records, 1951-1972 (UA 573).
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; English
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Dissertations, Academic; Letters; Outlines; Reports
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Jo Lindell; September 2005. Processed; Matthew Leavitt; April 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- English Department records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-22T12:35-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The English Department of Brigham Young University is a part of the College of Humanities. When the College of Humanities was established in 1965 it consisted of four original areas of study, with English being the largest department in the College as well as on campus. At that time the English Department was housed primarily in the Jesse Knight Building, with the faculty occupying most of the annex of the same building. Although the College of Humanities was founded in 1965, the English Department had been an integral part of the University from the beginning when BYU was first started.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series I in UA 1208
English Department course outlines
English Department departmental records
English Department graduate department files
English Department faculty files
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives