College of Humanities records
College of Humanities records
This collection contains correspondence, reports, notes and schedules which detail the activities of the College of Humanities and the departments composing it.
- Extent: 10 boxes (5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Call Number: UA 1217
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1217; College of Humanities records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1217, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management, October 2005.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1217.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Humanities--Study and teaching; Mathematical optimization--Computer programs
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Notes; Programs; Reports; Schedules
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melanie Nef; 2005.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives Collecting Policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- College of Humanities records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:24-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The College of Humanities is an academic unit at Brigham Young University. Formed in 1954 in the division of the earlier College of Arts and Sciences, the college was responsible for administering the academic departments related to languages, literature, history, political science, archaeology, psychology, and sociology. In 1965 it was again divided to create the College of Humanities and the College of Social Sciences.
The College of Humanities was not organized as a separate administrative unit until June of 1965. The college consisted of four areas: the Department of English, the Department of Languages, a small interdepartmental program in humanities, and another inter-departmental program in Latin- American Studies. The College of Humanities continues to play an important role on campus by fulfilling the mission for which it was designed: to prepare students with the skills and methods to deal independently and in depth with the major manifestations of human culture--language, literature, the arts, and ideas.
comments powered by Disqus