Department of Music records
Department of Music records
Dates: approximately 1973-1996
Collection contains documents outlining different aspects of the Music Department at Brigham Young University. These documents contain outlines of music classes taught at the university, different musical teaching opportunities, how to teach children music, various files on primary and the music department, minutes, and correspondence.
- Extent: 7 cartons (7 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize folders (0.6 linear ft.). -- 19 boxes (9.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Music
- Call Number: UA 1226
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2035) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in eight series: 1. Department of Music records on Mormon music pedagogy, 1973-1996. 2. Department of Music records on music pedagogy, 1973-1996. 3. Department of Music records on piano pedagogy, 1973-1996. 4. Department of Music correspondence, 1973-1996. 5. Department of Music performance groups, 1973-1996. 6. Paul Pollei correspondence, 1973-1996. 7. Department of Music minutes, 1973-1996. 8. Clyn Barrus papers, 1996. Maintained in the order in which it was received.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Music records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 1226; Music Department records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 1226, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in November 2005, with an additional installment from Music Special Collections, transferred in September 2010.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; November 2005. Transferred; Music Special Collections; September 2010.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1226.xml
- Subject Terms
- Music--Instruction and study--Utah--Provo; Colleges and Universities; Education; Brigham Young University. Department of Music--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Lecture notes; Corporate minutes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melanie Nef; 2005. Processed; Kayla Quinney; 2010. Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer; April 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Music records
- Finding Aid Author
- Melanie Nef and Kayla Quinney
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-23 09:18:09 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Music was established within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1226
Department of Music records on Mormon music pedagogy
Department of Music records on music pedagogy
Department of Music records on piano pedagogy
Department of Music correspondence
Department of Music performance groups
Paul Pollei correspondence
Department of Music minutes
Clyn Barrus papers
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives