Office of Information Technology records
Office of Information Technology records
Dates: 1966-2009, bulk 1966-1998
Contains records of the Office of Information Technology and its predecessors, including general files, campus building records, history records, vendor documents and information, financial records, correspondence, and staff meeting minutes. Records relate to the function of the organization in providing technology and information systems to the university, 1966-2009.
- Extent: 24 boxes (12 linear ft.). -- 15 cartons (15 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Office of Information Technology. -- Brigham Young University. University Computing Services. -- Brigham Young University. Information Systems Services. -- Brigham Young University. Computer Services. -- Brigham Young University. Computer Research Center
- Call Number: UA 1241
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2034) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Contains six series: 1. Office of Information Technology administration files, 1971-2009. 2. Office of Information Technology records on BYU buildings, 1968-1994. 3. Office of Information Technology records on Virtual Address eXtension (VAX) history, 1975-1996. 4. Office of Information Technology records on department history, 1966-2009. 5. Office of Information Technology records on finance and products, 1966-1998. 6. Office of Information Technology mintues, 1966-1998. Original order was maintained.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Office of Information Technology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 1241; Office of Information Technology records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 1241, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred by the Office of Information Technology through Records Management in 2006, 2011, and 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; 2006, 2011, 2015.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1241.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; College campuses--Utah--Provo; Universities and colleges--Information technology--Utah--Provo; Information technology--Management; Brigham Young University. Office of Information Technology; Brigham Young University. University Computing Services; Brigham Young University. Information Systems Services; Brigham Young University. Computer Services; Brigham Young University--Buildings; Brigham Young University--Information technology; Brigham Young University. Computer Research Center
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Blueprints; Letters
- Information management
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Jo Lindell; February 2006. Processed; Dani Peterson; January 2012. Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer; March 2015. Processed; McKinley Griffin; January 2016.
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Office of Information Technology records
- Finding Aid Author
- Amanda Jo Lindell
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-05-26 10:55:23 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
The Office of Information Technology (est. 2001) provides products, services, and support to meet the technology needs of Brigham Young University. The Office of IT was established in 2001 and maintains technology systems for the university such as Route Y, Network Connect, AccessPoint Labs, AccessPoint Ports, Computer Rentals, and Media Equipment Delivery. It is administered by the IT Vice President/Chief Information Officer (CIO) who reports directly to the president of the university. IT Vice Presidents/CIO have included Eric L. Denna (2001-2003) and Kelly J. Flanagan (2003- ).
The University Computing Services (1992-2000) provided computing services to Brigham Young University.
In 1992, Information Systems Services was reorganized into University Computing Services. Kelly C. McDonald served as Executive Director. The University Computing Services assisted faculty, staff and students with computing services and micrographs. In 2000, University Computing Services was reorganized into Information Technology Services.
Information Systems Services (1985-1992) provided computing services at Brigham Young University.
In 1985 Computer Services was reorganized into the Information Systems Services. William H. Gardner served as Executive Director (1985-1991) and was later replaced by Kelly C. McDonald (1991-1992). The Information Systems Services assisted faculty, staff and students with computing services and micrographs. In addition to handling and maintaining equipment, the organization provided knowledgeable assistants and multiple computer programs to help in technology training and trouble-shooting. In 1992 the unit was reorganized as University Computing Services.
Computer Services (1969-1985) was responsible for computing facilities at Brigham Young University.
Computer Services was organized in 1969 with the expansion and reorganization of the Computer Research Center. The organization managed the Computer Research Center, the Engineering Analysis Center, and the Science Computation Center as well as providing extensive computing facilities to faculty, staff, and students. The organization also facilitated the Information Center and the PC Technical Support Group. Computer Services was run by a director who reported to the Academic Vice-President. Directors of Computers Services included: Gary Carlson (1969-1981) and Willard H. Gardner (1981-1985). Computers Services was reorganized in 1984 into Information Systems Services.
The Computer Research Center (1958-1973) assisted the university with its computing services and research needs.
The Computer Research Center was established in 1958 under the direction of Gary Carlson. The center served individual students doing classwork, as well as graduate students and faculty researchers. It also fulfilled the University administrative data processing needs. The center equipment included an IBM 360/50 with all the normal related input and output equipment and programming languages. The center assisted in correlating all computer operations and offered an expanded curriculum in computer sciences. The Computer Research Center was placed under Computer Services in 1969 and abolished in 1973.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1241
Office of Information Technology administration files
Office of Information Technology records on university buildings
Office of Information Technology records on Virtual Address eXtension (VAX)
Office of Information Technology records on department history
Office of Information Technology records on finances and products
Office of Information Technology minutes
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives