Harold B. Lee Library records
Harold B. Lee Library records
Contains records on the Harold B. Lee Library regarding the Library Administrative Offices, various committees, the new addition, personnel, and collection development. Materials include correspondence, minutes, reports, instrument of gift forms, and an assortment of plaques. Dates from 1954 to 2007.
- Extent: 72 boxes (36 linear ft.). -- 17 cartons (17 linear ft.). -- 5 oversize (3.5 linear ft.). -- 3 folders (0.21 linear ft.)
- Creator: Harold B. Lee Library. -- J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library. -- Brigham Young University. Library
- Call Number: UA 1242
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2032) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in eight series: 1. Harold B. Lee Library administrative records, 1968-1998. 2. Harold B. Lee Library committee minutes and correspondence, 1954-2004. 3. Harold B. Lee Library reports and procedures, 1954-2007. 4. Harold B. Lee Library instrument of gift forms, 2001-2003. 5. Harold B. Lee Library personnel records, 1985-1988. 6. Harold B. Lee Library records on collection development, 1995-2003. 7. Harold B. Lee Library photographs and negatives of library picnic, approximately 1970 to 1985. 8. Harold B. Lee Library Plaques, 1965-1995. The materials have been left in the original order in which they were found. This order appears to be grouped by subject.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Harold B. Lee Library records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1242; Harold B. Lee Library Records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1242, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred in installments from Records Management (January 2006, March 2009, June 2009, August 2012, and May 2016) and from the library's administrative offices (July 2009, November 2013). In reviewing the collection content in 2012, a number of series were combined.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; January 2006. Transferred; University Archivist; March 2009. Transferred; Records Management; June 2009. Transferred; Harold B. Lee Library Administrative Offices; July 2009. Transferred; Records Management; August 2012. Transferred; Harold B. Lee Library Administrative Offices; November 2013. Transferred; Records Management; May 2016.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1242.xml
- Related Material
- See also the Harold B. Lee Library records (UA 549).
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Collection development (Libraries)--Utah--Provo; Church Educational System; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Harold B. Lee Library--Statistics; Harold B. Lee Library. University Archives
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Notes; Letters; Reports; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Plaques, plaquettes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Annette Steele; April 2006. Processed; Kayla Quinney; March 2009. Processed; Matthew Leavitt; July 2009. Processed; Dani Peterson; October 2012. Processed; Joshua Barton; November 2013. Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer; March 2015. Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer, April 2015. Processed; Eric Wolford, January 2017.
- Appraisal Information
- Administration (University Archives Collection Development Policy, August 2015).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Harold B. Lee Library records
- Finding Aid Author
- Kayla Quinney and Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2017-10-11 13:10:24 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Brigham Young University Library (1925-1961) served as repository for the university collection of printed materials.
The university library was established in the Heber J. Grant building in 1925. The collections outgrew the Heber J. Grant building, necessitating the construction of the J. Reuben Clark Library, which was completed in 1961. Head librarians and directors of libraries were Anna K. Ollorton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), and S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961).
The J. Reuben Clark, Jr. Library (1961-1973) served as the university library at Brigham Young University.
The library was renamed as the Clark Library in 1961, following the construction of a new library building. The library was later renamed as the Harold B. Lee Library in 1973. Library directors included S. Lyman Tyler (1961-1966) and Donald K. Nelson (1966-1973).
The Harold B. Lee Library (founded 1973) is the library on the campus of Brigham Young University, and is responsible for providing students and the community with valuable resources for research, media projects, and personal use.
The Harold B. Lee Library was aligned with Media Services under the Assistant Academic Vice President of Brigham Young University in 1973. In that same year, the J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library was renamed the Harold B. Lee Library. Internally, the Harold B. Lee Library is managed by the library director, who is aided by an associate university librarian and assistant university librarians, who oversee divisions of the library. Donald K. Nelson continued as Library Director from 1973 to 1980; Sterling J. Albrecht served as director from 1980 to 2002; Randy J. Olsen served as director from 2002 to 2009, and Julene Butler became library director January 1, 2010. The library building was expanded in 1976 and 2000 and continues to provide students and faculty access to scholarly materials.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1242
Harold B. Lee Library administrative records
Harold B. Lee Library committee minutes and correspondence
Harold B. Lee Library reports and procedures
Harold B. Lee Library instrument of gift forms
Harold B. Lee Library personnel records
Harold B. Lee Library records on collection development
Harold B. Lee Library photographs and negatives of library picnic
Dates: approximately 1970 to 1985
Harold B. Lee Library plaques
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives