Motion Picture Studio records
Motion Picture Studio records
This collection contains correspondence from 1979-1987 concerning the BYU Motion Picture Studio.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1244
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from BYU Motion Picture Studio records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1244; Motion Picture Studio records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1244, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management, February 2006.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1244.xml
- Subject Terms
- Correspondence; Material Types
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Motion Picture Studio records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:24-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The first large building constructed in 1958 was the BYU Motion Pictures Studio. As early as the summer of 1952 the General Authorities of the Church had expressed a desire to initiate a motion picture program to produce films for the Church's auxiliary organizations, priesthood quorums, bishop training seminars, and welfare programs. They were convinced that BYU was the ideal place to launch such a program. In that same year Church leaders asked Wetzel "Judge" Whittaker, director of animation at Walt Disney Studios, to head the new nonacademic Department of Motion Picture Production. From 1953-1958 the Motion Picture Department was housed in a temporary building with a small sound stage east of the North Building at the present site of the Harold B. Lee Library. In April 1958 construction of a new studio began on a secluded 15-acre rural tract in the Provo River bottoms north of Provo. Eleven months later the 13,160-square-foot structure was dedicated by Carl W. Buehner, then a counselor in the Presiding Bishopric of the Church. The Department of Motion Picture Production was at the time solely a production organization for the Church and not a part of the University's academic curriculum.
comments powered by Disqus