University Relations Division records
University Relations Division records
Contains correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, and other materials documenting the activities of the University Relations Division and its involvement with various university organizations. Dates range from 1970 to 1994.
- Extent: 17 boxes (8.5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1252
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2019) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in three series: 1. Office files. 2. Correspondence. 3. Office of Performance Scheduling records.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from University Relations Division records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1252; University Relations Division records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1252, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2006 and 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; February 2006. Transferred; Records Management; May 2013.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1252.xml
- Related Material
- Also see UA 5651- Brigham Young University Alumni Relations records. UA 1252 was divided into two collections and UA 5651 was a product of this division.
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Correspondence; Education
- Genre / Form
- Budgets; Corporate minutes; Letters; Reports; Schedules
- Processing Information
- Processed: J. Gordon Daines III; February 2006. Processed; Joseph Wiest; June 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- University Relations Division records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-10T04:23-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The University Relations Division (1964-1999) was in charge of all public relations concerns of Brigham Young University.
In addition to public relations concerns, the University Relations Division oversaw many organizations within campus that put the university's name out into the world. In 1999 the division was placed under the advisement of the Associated Advancement Vice President, Alumni and External Relations Executive Director. Directors of University Relations Division included Lester B. Whetten (1964-1966), Stephen R. Covey (1966-1969), Heber G. Wolsey (1969-1973), Bruce L. Olsen (1973-1983), George H. Bowie (1983-1985), Ronald G. Hyde (1985-1992), and George H. Bowie (1992-1999).
University Relations Division administers the university’s relations with local and state government agencies, as well as with professional, religious, and civic organizations. It supervises all information relating to campus activities and programs. They also coordinated General Authority relations and ceremonial events, and co-chairs commencement ceremonies. Part of the University Relations Division was the Student Conduct Appeals Committee/Board, also called the University Relations Committee, from at least 1968-1970. This committee heard appeals from disciplinary action taken by the office of Student Special Services.
University Relations Division acted under the direction of a director. During Stephen R. Covey's term the position become an Assistant to the President. Covey, Heber G. Wolsey and Ronald G. Hyde held the position as Assistant to the President.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1252
University Relations Division office files
University Relations Division correspondence
Office of Performance Scheduling records
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives