Brigham Young Academy certificates

Brigham Young Academy certificates

Dates: 1891-1893

Materials include two certificates from Brigham Young Academy, one being a diploma granted to George H. Brimhall in 1891 and the second a certificate establishing the Student Loan Association of Utah in 1893. Dated 1891-1893.

  • Extent: 1 oversize folder (0.1 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young Academy
  • Call Number: UA 1283
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young Academy certificates must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 1283; Brigham Young Academy certificates; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1283, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Found in the University Archives workroom in June 2006.
Acquisition Information
Found; University Archives workroom; June 2006.
Subject Terms
Brigham Young Academy--Funds and scholarships; Brimhall, George H. (George Henry), 1853-1932; Student Loan Association of Utah; Church Educational System; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion
Genre / Form
Charters and articles of incorporation; Diplomas
Processing Information
Processed; Lucy Brimhall; 2013.
Appraisal Information
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA1283
Finding Aid Title
Brigham Young Academy certificates
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Lucy Brimhall
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-16T04:32-0700
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative history

Brigham Young Academy (1875-1903) was established by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the direction of Brigham Young for the instruction of church members in the area of Provo Utah.

Brigham Young Academy was the predecessor to Brigham Young University and Brigham Young High School. Brigham Young saw the school as a place where all secular learning should be fused with teachings from the scriptures. Despite steady growth during its early years, the Academy was threatened by a series of financial and physical setbacks. With the help and sacrifice of Abraham O. Smoot, the campus moved in 1891 to new facilities on University Avenue in Provo Utah. The Academy's curriculum strengthened and enrollment grew. In 1903, the name was officially changed to Brigham Young University.

Brigham Young Academy principals included Warren N. Dusenberry (1876), Karl G. Maeser (1876-1892), and Benjamin Cluff (1892-1903).



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu