Department of Chemical Engineering records

Department of Chemical Engineering records

Dates: 1951-2005

Contains correspondence within and without of the department, minutes from various meetings, budgets, faculty publications, reports, and information from the 10th North American Catalysis Society Meeting. Materials date from between 1951 and 2005.

  • Extent: 67 boxes (33.5 linear ft.). -- 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Chemical Engineering
  • Call Number: UA 1328
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Arranged into six series: 1. Department of Chemical Engineering historical records, 1986-2000. 2. Department of Chemical Engineering budget records, 1971-1977. 3. Department of Chemical Engineering course materials, 1951-2001. 4. Department of Chemical Engineering administrative and faculty records, 1964-2005. 5. North American Catalysis Society meeting records, 1986-1987. 6. Department of Chemical Engineering correspondence, 1965-1981.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Department of Chemical Engineering records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 1328; Department of Chemical Engineering records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: UA 1328, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transferred from Records Management and found in the stacks, February 2007. Transferred from Records Management and found in the stacks, May 2012 Transferred from Records Management and found in the stacks, July 2015.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; Records Management; February 2007. Found in the stacks; February 2007. Transferred; Records Management; May 2012 Found in the stacks; May 2012. Transferred; Records Management; July 2015 Found in the stacks; July 2015.
Subject Terms
Education; Colleges and Universities; Budget; Chemical engineering--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo; Brigham Young University. Department of Chemical Engineering; Brigham Young University. Department of Chemical Engineering--Archives
Genre / Form
Corporate minutes; Corporation reports
Processing Information
Processed; Matthew Leavitt; March 2007. Processed; Eric Wolford; February 2016.
Appraisal Information
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA1328
Finding Aid Title
Department of Chemical Engineering records
Finding Aid Author
Matthew Leavitt
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-06-09 09:38:56 -0600.
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Department of Chemical Engineering (1977-2004) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

Chemical Engineering at Brigham Young University was officially initiated in 1955 with the renaming of the Department of Chemistry to the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. Only 1 full-time faculty member taught the chemical engineering courses at that time. In 1958, a separate Department of Chemical Engineering was formed, by this time with three faculty members. The undergraduate program was first accredited in 1961 and has been accredited ever since. A Masters degree in chemical engineering was approved in 1962, and the PhD program received approval in 1968.

The Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1977. Originally the Department of Chemical Engineering Science, the name was changed and the department was placed under the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology. The department offers professional training and degrees at the Bachelor's, Master's, and PhD levels, with the intention of creating new technologies and products to improve the quality of life.

Department chairs include Dee H. Barker (1978-1979), Richard W. Hanks (1979-1985), Douglas N. Bennion (1985-1991), Richard L. Rowley (1991-1996), Kenneth A. Solen (1996-2002) and W. Vincent Wilding (2002-2004).



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series in UA 1328

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu