Physical Plant Department records

Physical Plant Department records

Dates: 1946-1980

Contains records from the Physical Plant Department including correspondence, memos, blueprints, contracts, photographs, audio cassettes and program requirements. Materials date from 1946 to 1980.

  • Extent: 46 cartons (46 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize folder (4 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (1.3 linear ft.). -- 1 half box (0.25 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. Physical Plant Department. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Buildings and Grounds
  • Call Number: UA 1330
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Arranged in seven series: 1. Physical Plant Department minutes, 1959-1980. 2. Physical Plant Department correspondence, 1947-1978. 3. Physical Plant Department records on campus buildings, 1946-1979. 4. Physical Plant Department budget records, 1947-1979. 5. Physical Plant Department records on special projects, 1954-1976. 6. Physical Plant Department general files, 1947-1980. 7. Physical Plant Department scrapbook, 1962. 8. Physical Plant Department director audiocassettes, approximately 1960-1980.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Physical Plant Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial Citation: UA 1330; Physical Plant Department records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citation: UA 1330, LTPSC.
Custodial History
These items were donated to Special Collections in 2007. During processing the collection was merged with the Samuel F. Brewster Building records (UA 119). Audio cassettes found in the University Archives stacks in January 2015.
Acquisition Information
Donated; 2007. Found; University Archives stacks; January 2015.
Subject Terms
Education; Colleges and Universities; College buildings--Utah--Provo; Facility management--Utah--Provo; Brigham Young University. Physical Plant Department; Brigham Young University. Department of Buildings and Grounds; Brigham Young University. Physical Plant Department--Archives; Brigham Young University--Buildings
Genre / Form
Letters; Contracts; Blueprints; Photographs; Memorandums
Function
Facility management
Processing Information
Processed; Dani Peterson; November 2011. Processed; Erin Owens; April 2015.
Appraisal Information
Department records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA1330
Finding Aid Title
Physical Plant Department records
Finding Aid Author
Dani Peterson
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-05-14 09:23:06 -0600.
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Department of Buildings and Grounds (1947-1954) coordinated the maintenance of Brigham Young University campus buildings and grounds.

The Department of Buildings and Grounds was established in 1947 under superintendent Leland M. Perry and became the Physical Plant Department in 1954. Various supervisors reported to the superintendence who reported to a vice president of the University.

The department was responsible for the following: installations, alterations, and maintenance of the campus communications systems, such as telephones, fire alarms, and the distribution of campus mail; custodial work in all campus buildings; landscaping, care, and maintenance of all grounds, vacant lots, and other property owned by the University, including parking and campus police; maintenance, operation, alterations, and repair of all plumbing, heating, ventilating, and electrical systems on University property; mechanical shops operated by the University; carpenter shop and mill operated by the University (this did not include academic shops); maintenance, repair, alterations, and up-keep of all University-owned buildings; all new construction on University-owned property; a central warehouse and receiving department for the University; engineering, design, and survey or inspection work pertaining to maintenance of new construction; perpetual inventory of all furniture and equipment of the University; custody, maintenance, and repair of all automotive and other mechanical equipment of the University; central key register and control for the entire University; management and operation of Wymount Village.

In 1954 the Department of Buildings and Grounds was renamed the Physical Plant Department.

Administrative History

The Physical Plant Department (1954- ) functions to coordinate the building and grounds maintenance of Brigham Young University.

The Physical Plant Department, previously the Department of Buildings and Grounds, was established in 1954. The Physical Plant functions under the Physical Facilities Division and is responsible for maintaining university utilities, overseeing engineering and construction, maintaining the grounds, maintaining the buildings (including custodial services), overseeing transportation services, and administering to campus projects. Directors of the department have included Leland M. Perry (1954-1957), Sam F. Brewster (1957-1974), Fred A. Schwendiman (1974), Harold J. Anderson (1979-1986), Douglas Christensen (1986-1990), and Scott Briggs (1990- )



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series in UA 1330

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu