Women's Research Institute records
Women's Research Institute records
Collection contains information gathered by the Women's Research Institute at Brigham Young University regarding women and their social, legal, economic, and educational statuses. Also included is information regarding organizations and conferences on the topics listed above, 1973-1992.
- Extent: 45 boxes (22.5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1332
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Contains three series: 1. Women's Research Institute records on conditions of women, 1973-1992. 2. Women's Research Institute records on employment and education for women, 1974-1989. 3. Women's Research Institute records on organizations and conferences, 1973-1989.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Women's Research Institute records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1332; Women's Research Institute records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1332, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in the University Archives stacks, March 2007.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; University Archives stacks; 2007.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1332.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Women--Congresses; Women--Research; Women--Societies and clubs
- Genre / Form
- Research (Document genres)
- Research (Function)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Jo Carter; April 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Women's Research Institute records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Amanda Jo Carter
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-20T09:16-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
The Women's Research Institute (1978-2009) was created at Brigham Young University to provide resources and educate female students and facilities on women's issues and areas of research within.
The Women's Research Institute was established under the direction of President Dallin H. Oaks and Dr. Marilyn Arnold, president's assistant on women's issues, in 1978. The institute existed to educate female students regarding gender-related personal challenges; provide women throughout the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with opportunities to learn about and discuss women's issues particularly as they pertain to spiritual development; improve the professional life for female faculty members at Brigham Young University; and promote the scholarly study of women's development and contributions to families, communities, and societies. The institute was abolished in 2009.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1332
Women's Research Institute records on conditions of women
Women's Research Institute records on employment and education for women
Women's Research Institute records on organizations and conferences
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives