• Home
  • UA 1342
  • Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences records

Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences records

Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences records

Dates: 1956-2010

Contains the records of the Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences. Records consist of correspondence, reports, budget outlines/plans, meeting minutes, information on employees, and student scholarship information. Dates range from 1956 to 2010.

  • Extent: 7 cartons (7 linear ft.). -- 11 boxes (5.5 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Agronomy and Horticulture. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Agronomy. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Animal Husbandry. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Botany. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Horticulture and Horticulture Specialties. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Horticulture. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences
  • Call Number: UA 1342
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2034) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Arranged topically, alphabetically, and chronologically.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 1342; Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1342, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transferred from Records Management in installments in March 2007, December 2012, and March 2013.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; Records Management; March 2007. Transferred; Records Management; December 2012. Transferred; Records Management; March 2013.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1342.xml
Subject Terms
Brigham Young University. Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences--Archives; Budgets; Colleges and Universities; Education
Genre / Form
Corporate minutes; Letters; Reports
Processing Information
Processed; Jennifer Kim; September 2011. Processed; Joseph Wiest; December 2012. Processed; Joseph Wiest; March 2013.
Appraisal Information
Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA1342
Finding Aid Title
Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T13:03-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Department of Plant and Animal Sciences (2003-2007) was a department under the College of Biology and Agriculture at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Plant and Animal Sciences was established in 2003 when the Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences,the Department of Botany and Range Science, and the Department of Agronomy and Horticulture were amalgamated under the direction of the College of Biology and Agriculture. In 2007, the department was renamed the Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences. Department chairmen included: Von D. Jolley (2002-2004), Sheldon D. Nelson (2004-2007), and Val J. Anderson (2007-2008).

The Department of Plant and Animal Sciences was established with the purpose of preparing students to enter the fields of bio-agribusiness management, biotechnology, environmental soil science, landscape management, and plant biology. Courses included: living with plants, landscape design graphics, residential landscape design, floral design, world food crops, herbaceous plants, landscape structures, interior landscapes, landscape bidding and estimating, genomics, soil science, plant growth and reproduction, soil genesis and taxonomy, soil fertility and plant nutrition, turf science, arboriculture, plant pest control, plant production, plant community design, urban soils and water, integrated management of plant pests, plant physiology, animal breeding and genetics, plant breeding and biotechnology, plant cell biology, animal biotechnology, soil physics, soil microbiology, saline and sodic soils, plant development, plant molecular breeding, cytogenetics, plant transformation, and experimental design and data analysis.

Administrative History

The Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences (2007- ) is a department in the College of Life Sciences.

The Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences was established in 2007 when the College of Biology and Agriculture was renamed the College of Life Sciences. The department was formerly known as the Department of Plant and Animal Sciences. Val J. Anderson has served as department chair since 2007.

The Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences prepares students to face "four of the great dilemmas facing mankind in the twenty-first century," namely, the use of biotechnology to help an ever-growing human population; the prevention of human activities from having negative effects on the environment; conservation of wildlife and wildlands; and management of landscapes with resource limitations and aesthetics in mind. The department offers BS degrees in bio-agribusiness management, environmental science, landscape management, and plant biology; master's degree in agronomy; BS and master's degrees in genetics and biotechnology; and BS, master's degrees, and PhDs in wildlife and wildlands conservation.

Administrative History

The Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences (2001-2003) was established by the College of Biology and Agriculture at Brigham Young University with an aim to instruct students in the sciences of animals and animal care.

Prior to 2001, the Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences was known as the Department of Animal Sciences. Department chairmen included David Kooyman (2001-2002) and Von D. Jolley (2002-2003). In 2003 the Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences was combined with the Department of Botany and Range Science and the Department of Agronomy and Horticulture to form the Department of Plant and Animal Sciences.

The Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences included courses on world animal agriculture, village animal production and nutrition, principles of animal nutrition and growth, companion animal care and nutrition, comparative animal physiology and anatomy, ethical issues in agriculture and science, computer applications to agriculture, office procedures, animal restraint and first aid, reproductive physiology disease and breeding, veterinary parasitology, farm and ranch planning and management, environmental and agricultural law, veterinary nursing laboratory methods, veterinary anesthesiology, and veterinary surgical assistance.

Administrative History

The Department of Animal Science (1964-2001) was a department within the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences at Brigham Young Unviersity.

The Department of Animal Science was established in 1964 by the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences. This newly created department replaced the Department of Animal Husbandry. The department was administered by a department chair, under direction of the college dean. The department was associated with the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1964-1983) and the College of Biology and Agriculture (1983-2001). In 2001, the department became a part of the Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences. Department chairs included: R. Phil Shumway (1964-1975), Merlin Myers (1975-1976), Leon E. Orme (1976-1984), Keith D. Hoopes (1984-1986), Max V. Wallentine (1986-1989), N. Paul Johnston (1989-1995), Richard N. Thwaits (1995-2000), and David Kooyman (2000-2001).

The Department of Animal Science included courses on principles of animal production, fundamentals of animal breeding, feeds and feeding, livestock and meat evaluation and selection, animal physiology and anatomy, animal hygiene, consumer and institutional meats, meat and meat products, meat processing methods, horse husbandry, beef cattle production, sheep production, swine production, elements of dairying, milk and milk processing, poultry production, reproductive physiology of domestic animals, animal nutrition, animal breeding, and management of ranch resources.

Administrative History

The Department of Animal Husbandry (1922-1963) was established under the direction of the College of Applied Science and focused on the care, breeding, and development of livestock.

The Department of Animal Husbandry included courses on elementary stock judging, history of breeds, horse husbandry, beef cattle husbandry, sheep husbandry, swine husbandry, elements of dairying, animal breeding, animal nutrition, animal nutrition, dairy cattle judging, milk production and secretion, and dairy survey.

The department was administered by a department chair, under direction of the college dean. The department was associated with the College of Applied Science (1922-1954) and the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1954-1963). Department chairmen included Clawson Y. Cannon (1922-1928), H. Grant Ivins (1929-1946), Grant S. Richards (1947-1954), and Lawrence Morris (1955-1963). In 1964 the Department of Animal Husbandry was changed to the Department of Animal Sciences.

Administrative History

The Department of Botany and Range Science (1972-2003) was a department in the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Botany and Range Science was established in 1972 by the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences. Department chairmen included: Dayna L. Stocks (1972-1974), Kimball T. Harper (1974-1976), Bruce N. Smith (1976-1981), Jerran T. Flinders (1981-1988), Wilford M. Hess (1988-1997) and Bruce A. Roundy (1997-2002).

The Department of Botany and Range Science included courses on the field of botany, plant classification, plant science, environmental biology, heredity and reproduction, morphology, ecology, genetics and molecular biology, conservation of natural resources, plant physiology, evolutionary science, plant pathology, plant biotechnology, ethnobotany, biological instrumentation, algology, lichenology, mycology, paleobotany, plant geography, feed an forage evaluation, range and pasture plants, farm and ranch management, agricultural finance and business organization, agricultural law, harvested forage crops, applied farm and ranch planning, range inventories and analysis, rangelands and society, grazing management, habitat management for wildlife, range and pasture development, forest management, wildlife law enforcement, agrostology: taxonomy and ecology of grasses, terrestrial and rangeland ecosystems, watershed management, and wildlife behavioral ecology.

The department was administered by a department chairmen, under the direction of the college dean. The department was associated with the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1972-1983) and the College of Biology and Agriculture (1983-2003).

Administrative History

The Department of Botany (1925-1972) was a part of the College of Arts and Sciences at Brigham Young University and focused on plant and fungi sciences.

The Dept. of Botany was formed and was placed in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1925 when the Dept. of Biology was abolished. The department was transferred to the newly formed College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences in 1954. In 1972 the department was reformed as the Department of Botany and Range Science. Department chairs for the Dept. of Botany included Walter P. Cottam (1925-1929, 1930), A.O. Garrett (1929), Thomas L. Martin (1931-1933), Bertrand F. Harrison (1934-1935, 1937-1957, 1961-1965), Edna Snow (1936), Kent H. McKnight (1958-1960), Earl M. Christensen (1966-1969), and Dayna L. Stocks (1970-1972).

The Dept. of Botany was responsible for teaching courses in: botany, bacteriology, algae and fungi, seed plants, spring flora, plant ecology and physiology, diseases of cultivated plants, heredity and eugenics, and graduate courses in plant cytology and flora of the Wasatch. By 1954 the department also taught courses in plant taxonomy, trees and shrubs, anatomy, morphology of algae, morphology of fungi, and morphology of bryophytes and pteridophytes.

The Dept. of Botany was administered by a department chair, under the direction of the college dean. The department was associated with the College of Arts and Sciences (1925-1954) and the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1954-1972).

Administrative History

The Department of Agronomy and Horticulture (1968-2003) was a department under the College of Biology and Agriculture at Brigham Young University.

In 1968 the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences combined the Department of Agronomy and the Department of Horticulture into the Department of Agronomy and Horticulture. In 2003 it became a part of the Department of Plant and Animal Sciences. Department chairmen included: Rudger H. Walker (1968-1972), Laren R. Robison (1972-1984), Rodney D. Horrocks (1984-1990), Richard E. Terry (1990-1999), Von D. Jolley (1999-2003).

The Department of Agronomy and Horticulture offered students the option of majoring in either Agronomy or Horticulture. The purpose for the Agronomy major was to provide a framework of fundamental principles of soil science, field crop production, and their interrelationships. The Horticulture major offered four options: fruit and vegetable production; floriculture and greenhouse management; ornamental horticulture and nursery management; and turf and part management.

The department was administered by a department chairman, under the direction of the college dean. The department was associated with a number of colleges during its existence, including the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1968-1983) and the College of Biology and Agriculture (1983-2003).

Administrative History

The Department of Horticulture (1964-1968) provided training in fruit production, floriculture and greenhouse management, landscape maintenance, ornamental horticulture and nursery management, and turf management at Brigham Young University.

In 1964 the Department of Horticulture and Horticultural Specialties was renamed the Department of Horticulture. Ernest F. Reimshussel served as department chairman from 1964 to 1968. The department was administered by the department chairman, under the direction from the college dean. In 1968 the Department of Horticulture was combined with the Department of Agronomy to form the Department of Agronomy and Horticulture.

Administrative History

The Department of Horticulture and Horticulture Specialties (1954-1964) focused on providing emphasis on either fruit production, ornamental horticulture, or landscape gardening at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Horticulture and Horticultural Specialties included courses on fruit production, vegetable production, beautifying the home grounds, floriculture, flower arrangement, architectural drawing, plant propagation, practical orchard management, herbaceous plants, woody plants, nursery practice, greenhouse management, turf management, landscape design, planting design, systematic pomology, harvesting and storage of fruits, weeds and seed analysis, plant breeding, plant pathology, and diseases of cultivated fruits.

In 1954 the Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture was renamed the Department of Horticulture and Horticultural Specialties. Department chairmen included Clarence D. Ashton (1955-1957) and Ernest F. Reimschussel (1958-1964). The department was administered by a department chairman, under the direction of the college dean. In 1964 the Department of Horticulture and Horticultural Specialties was renamed the Department of Horticulture.

Administrative History

The Department of Agronomy (1922-1968) was a department within the College of Applied Science at Brigham Young University that focused on agricultural sciences.

The Department of Agronomy included courses on general agriculture, farm management, cereal crops, forage crops, root crops, soil physics and geology, soil fertility, soil management and survey, agricultural chemistry, and soil bacteriology.

The Department of Agronomy was established under the College of Applied Science in 1922. Department chairmen included: Thomas L. Martin (1922-1951), Raymond B. Farnsworth (1952-1954), Merrill J. Hallam (1955-1957), R. Chase Allred (1958-1960), and Raymond B. Farnsworth (1961-1968). The department was administered by a department chair, under direction of the college dean.

The department was associated with the College of Applied Science (1922-1954) and the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1954-1968). In 1968 the Department of Agronomy was combined with the Department of Horticulture to form the Department of Agronomy and Horticulture.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu