English Department records
English Department records
This collection contains information and materials concerning various faculty members of the Brigham Young University English Department. Records included in this collection regard the appointment of faculty. Included are resumes, writing samples, letters, correspondence, memos and newspaper clippings.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.). -- 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 1343
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted; Closed for 25 years (until 2032) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from English Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1343; English Department records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1343, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These items were transferred to Special Collections in 2007. These items were transferred to Special Collections in 2010.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; 2007. Transferred; Records Management; 2010.
- Subject Terms
- College teachers--Utah--Provo--History; Colleges and Universities; Correspondence; Education; English teachers; Universities and colleges--Utah--Provo--Faculty
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- English Department records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-09T04:26-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Brigham Young University English Department has been part of the Brigham Young University College of Humanities since 1965.
The Dept. of English includes classes of: rhetoric and composition, advanced composition, short story writing, news writing, advanced narration, teacher's course in grammar, Anglo-Saxon, philology, Chaucer, Shakespeare's tragedies, Shakespeare's comedies, Milton, love and the light, the history and development of the English novel, the Romantic poets, modern continental European drama, modern British drama, the English modern novel, the American modern novel, Tennyson's minor poems, Tennyson's major poems, and Browning.
The Dept. of English was a part of the Church Teachers College until the college was split in 1920. The department was placed under the direction of the School of Arts and Sciences. The department was transferred in 1921 when the School of Arts and Sciences to the renamed the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1954 the department was transferred to the newly established College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and later in 1965 to the College of Humanities. Department chairs included Alfred Osmond (1920-1923), Parley A. Christensen (1923-1954), Leonard W. Rice (1955-1958), Ralph A. Britsch (1958-1960), Bruce B. Clark (1960-1966), Dale H. West (1966-1973), Marshall R. Craig (1973-1975), Richard H. Cracroft (1975-1981), John B. Harris (1981-1986), William A. Wilson (1986-1992), Neal E. Lambert (1992-1996), C. Jay Fox (1996-1999), John S. Tanner (1999-2004), Edward A. Geary (2004-2006), Gregory D. Clark (2006-2007), and Edward S. Cutler (2007-).
comments powered by Disqus