Daily Universe records
Daily Universe records
Collection contains Daily Universe newspaper clippings, financial records (including advertisements, payroll information, and bills), whole copies from the Daily Universe from September 1987 to January 1988 and 1983 to 1984, photographs taken for use by the Daily Universe (including an alphabetized collection of prominent Mormons, church leaders, faculty, and other famous people), and proof sheets. Materials dated 1952-2000.
- Extent: 44 boxes (22 linear ft.). -- 31 cartons (31 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University
- Call Number: UA 1371
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into five series: 1. Financial records, 1977-1980. 2. Newspapers and programs, 1952-1979. 3. Newspapers, 1983-1984. 4. Photographs and negatives, 1970-1997. 5. Correspondence, 1997-2000. The materials have been left in the original order, which appears to be mainly chronological and alphabetical.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Daily Universe records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1371; Daily Universe records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1371, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in the Stacks in June 2007. Transferred from Newsnet in January 2008. Transferred from Records Management in February 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; Stacks; June 2007. Transferred; Newsnet; January 2008. Transferred; Records Management; February 2009.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; College student newspapers and periodicals--Utah--Provo; Brigham Young University; Brigham Young University--Newspapers; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Genre / Form
- Financial records; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Photographs; College student newspapers and periodicals; Negatives
- Brigham Young universe; Daily universe
- Processing Information
- Processed; Matthew Leavitt; 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Daily Universe records
- Finding Aid Author
- Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-01-19 15:23:50 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Brigham Young University (established 1903) is a private university sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Provo, Utah. The university publishes the Daily Universe, previously known as the Brigham Young Universe, as a student journalism lab and newspaper at Brigham Young University. The paper changed names in 1956.
Brigham Young University was established in 1903 in a renaming of Brigham Young Academy. Past and present Brigham Young University presidents include George H. Brimhall (1903-1921), Franklin S. Harris (1921-1945), Howard S. McDonald (1945-1949), (acting president) Christian Jensen (1949-1951), Ernest L. Wilkinson (1951-1971), Dallin H. Oaks (1971-1980), Jeffrey R. Holland (1980-1989), Rex E. Lee (1989-1995), Merrill J. Bateman (1996-2003), and Cecil O. Samuelson (2003- ).
Brigham Young University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the Church Educational System (CES). The university is governed by a Board of Trustees, which, since 1939, has consisted of the First Presidency of the Church as well as other General Authorities or general officers of the Church appointed by the First Presidency. The Board of Trustees provides general direction and oversees the formulation of broad policies as well as the approval of all executive leadership and faculty appointments at the university. The Board of Trustees delegates to the University President the responsibility to conduct the operations of the institution and administer the policies enacted by the board. The President serves as the chief executive officer and general manager of the University. Since 1996, the President of the university has also been a General Authority of the Church.
Brigham Young University has grown from a small academy to one of the world's largest private universities. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU offers a unique educational environment that promotes learning by study and also by faith.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 1371
Daily Universe financial records
Daily Universe newspapers and programs
Daily Universe newspapers
Daily Universe photographs and negatives
Daily Universe correspondence
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives