Department of Communications records
Department of Communications records
Collection includes correspondence to and from the chair of the Department of Communications for the period of 1988 to 2001, and portfolios done by students in the department in 2011.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.). -- 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Communications
- Call Number: UA 1372
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted (closed until 2036), and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Communications records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 1372; Department of Communications records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 1372, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from the Department of Communications in October 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Department of Communications; October 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; College administrators--Utah--Provo--History--Sources; Journalism--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo; Brigham Young University. Department of Communications; Brigham Young University. Department of Communications--Archives; Brigham Young University. Department of Communications--Administration--History
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Rose Frank; August 2011. Addendum Added; Erin Owens; October 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Communications records
- Finding Aid Author
- Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-21 15:50:09 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Communications (1963-) is responsible for communications courses under the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Communications at Brigham Young University was established in 1963. Functioning under the College of Fine Arts and Communications, it is responsible for teaching public relations, advertising, marketing, journalism, and communications. Previously, communications courses were part of the Department of Journalism in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The organization functions to provide a professional program in communications which includes a broad base of general education, thorough orientation in the processes, functions and responsibilities of mass communication, and the development of skills in fact finding, analysis, and communication through the mass media. The department also seeks to provide service courses to help students from other departments develop desired communication skills.
Department chairs have included: Oliver R. Smith (1964-1966), J. Morris Richards (1966-1972), Edwin O. Haroldsen (1972-1975), M. Dallas Burnett (1975-1980); Brent D. Peterson (1980-1983), J. LaVar Bateman (1983-1986), Ralph D. Barney (1986-1987), Gordon Whiting (1987-1991), David P. Forsyth (1991-1996), Leonard L. Bartlett (1996-1998), Laurie J. Wilson (1998-2002), Michael K. Perkins (2002-2004), Edward E. Adams (2004-2008), and Bradley L. Rawlins (2008- ).
comments powered by Disqus