Division of Learning Resources records
Division of Learning Resources records
The records of the original Division of Learning Resources as preserved in the University Archives of Brigham Young University and described in this inventory are those generated by the director of the division, his assistants, and directors of departments within the division. The records span chiefly the years of 1965 through 1976. As of February 1, 1977, there were 97 document cases or a total of 36 linear feet of records in the collection. Physical types of records represented include correspondence, minutes of meetings, subject files, reports, statistics, departmental publications, financial records, policy and procedures memoranda, newspaper clippings, research proposals, project studies and general memoranda. The biggest segment of the collection is the papers of Darrel J. Monson, division director, which utilizes 58 document cases. The papers are arranged into series, which were deposited in the Archives at different times. The series are not in strict chronological order. They include: office of the director; his staff assistants; Instructional Television and Services--office of supervisor; Instructional Research Development and Evaluation--office of supervisor; Special Services--office of the assistant to the director; Media Production--office of the director; Film Production--office of the director; and Educational Media--office of the director. Records generated by the various units of the division after 1976 will generally not be found in this collection due to the break-up of the division following the death of the director, Darrel Monson. The records for Broadcast Services will not be found in this collection as these records were processed and cataloged under UA 558 before the other records of the division arrived in the University Archives. The same is true for the Harold B. Lee Library which is cataloged under UA 549. It should be noted that there are a considerable number of printed items pertaining to the various departments, which if not found in this collection, may be found in the Printed Matter Section of the University Archives. Examples are brochures, announcements, some reports, studies, catalogs, newsletters, etc.
- Extent: 147 boxes (73.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Division of Learning Resources. -- Farnsworth, William Dewey, 1921. -- Glade, Earl J. (Earl Joseph), 1911-2001. -- Monson, Darrel J., 1923-1975
- Call Number: UA 282
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in three series: 1. Learning Resources Division office of the director and his assistants records, 1950-1976; 2. Learning Resources Film Production, 1951-1979; and 3. Learning Resources Educational Media Department, circa 1959-1976. For the records that are represented in the collection it should be noted that they were deposited in the University Archives in groups or series and at various times. As a result the various series are not always in strict chronological order. Furthermore, the box number starts over with each new division.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Division of Learning Resources collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 282; Division of Learning Resources records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 282, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The records of the original Division of Learning Resources as preserved in the University Archives of Brigham Young University and described in this inventory are those generated by the director of the division, his assistants, and directors of departments within the division.
- Acquisition Information
- Generated and transferred.
- Separated Material
- Harold B. Lee Library material as minutes of library committees, policy and procedure documents and form letters were transferred to the library UA collection in the University Archives.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA282.xml
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. Broadcast Services; Brigham Young University. Division of Learning Resources--History; Farnsworth, William Dewey, 1921-; Glade, Earl J. (Earl Joseph), 1911-2001; Monson, Darrel J., 1923-1975; Colleges and Universities; Education
- Processing Information
- Processed; Hollis Scott; 1978.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Division of Learning Resources records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jacque Peterson and Kim Christensen
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-14T15:10-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
The BYU Learning Resource Division was also known as the Division of Communication Services, and the Division of Instructional Services. Since the 1970s, the Resources Division has been known as Broadcast Services.
The Division of Learning Resources was established in 1965 under the name of the Division of Communication Services which was organized to coordinate the entire communication and media program at the University. Former chairman of the Electrical Engineering Department, Darrel J. Monson, was selected to be the director of the new division. Five departments, which constituted the division at this time and their directors were: Motion Picture Production, Wetzel O. Whitaker; Educational Media Services, R. Irwin Goodman; Broadcast Services, T.M. Williams, and a year later Earl J. Glade, Jr; University Press, Frank Haymore; and the Photo Studio, Jerry Rogers. Shortly after this, another department was added, the Communications Systems Department, under the temporary direction of Mr. Monson. In 1967 this department's name was changed to Electronic Media Department under the direction of Robert J. Drake and two years later under Dean Austin.
In 1968 a major change took place when the Department of Instructional Research and Development Department was added under the direction of M. David Merrill, while another department, BYU Press, was separated from the division.
A new director for Educational Media Services Department, J. Sterling Astin, was named in 1970. About this time another new department, Instructional Photo/Graphics under the direction of J. LeRoy Walker was added. This department was made up of the Graphic Services, which was separated from Educational Media Services, and combined with the Photo Studio.
The Division of Communication Services changed its name in 1971 to Division of Instructional Services. About this time two special assistants to Director Darrel J. Monson were named. They were William D. Farnsworth in charge of Special Services, and R. Irwin Goodman, former director of Educational Media Services, as assistant to the director in charge of Instructional Research Development and Evaluation; a new department, Instructional Television Services, was created later in the year under the directorship of Harold R. Hickman.
In 1972, other changes made included the appointment of Earl J. Glade, Jr. as administrative specialist in the Division; and Bruce L. Christensen, director of Broadcast Services Department; and the creation of the Institute for Computer Uses in Education under the direction of C. Victor Bunderson, which was known as TICCIT (Time-Shared Interactive, Computer-Controlled Information Television).
In 1973 the division name was changed to the Division of Learning Resources with Monson's appointment as assistant academic vice president. The division was composed of three major segments: Media Production and Development, Instructional Research Development and Evaluation, and the library.
Upon the death of Darrel J. Monson in December of 1975, William D. Farnsworth was appointed acting director and assistant to the academic vice president.
The division has had many changes in terms of departments, names of departments, and personnel. In the last year of its existence as a division it was constituted as follows:
Darrel J. Monson, director and assistant academic vice president; William D. Farnsworth, assistant; and Earl J. Glade, Jr., administrative assistant. Instructional Production Services consisted of Broadcast Services, Electronic Media Department, Instructional Television Services, Instructional Photo/Graphics Production, Motion Picture Production, and Sound Services. Instructional Research Development and Evaluation consisted of Department of Instructional Development, Department of Instructional Evaluation and Testing, Institute for Computer Uses in Education, and Laboratory for Experimental Study for Instruction.
When the division broke up in the latter part of 1976 the departments were separated and restructured as follows:
MEDIA SERVICES--WILLIAM FARNSWORTH, DIRECTOR
Camera Repair & Loan, Microfilm Coordinator, Accountant, photo Consultant, portrait Studio, Broadcast Services, Electronic Media, Film Production, Marketing, Sound Services.
McKAY INSTITUTE, DAVID O., A DIVISION WITHIN THE COLLEGE OF EDUCATION, ADRIAN P. VAN MONDFRANS, DIRECTOR
Business Manager, Computer Teaching Center, Evaluation Services, Instructional Development Services, Instructional Research Services, Testing Services.
LIBRARY LEARNING RESOURCES (FORMERLY EDUCATIONAL MEDIA SERVICES)
Audio Visual Services, Instructional Graphics, Instructional Systems, Media Selection and Evaluations, Learning Resources Centers (library, other campus locations and BYU Salt Lake Center), Media Selection and Evaluation.
Then in the summer of 1978 a further realignment of some of the departments of the old Division of Learning Resources as well as the Harold B. Lee Library was completed. This alignments was announced in the library newsletter, HBLL News-Update, August 16, 1976, as follows:
A new program for academic support services had been officially formalized. These support services, under Dr. Chauncey C. Riddle's direction, are the Library, Media Services, Instructional Research, McKay Institute and the Career Advisement Program. Under the new program, another unit has been added to the academic support services called Learning Services. This unit includes the General Education Learning Center, Learning Resource Centers, Testing Program, Teacher Evaluation Office, TICCIT, Audiovisual Services and Institutional Graphics. All units under Learning Services will report to Monte Shelley.
In addition, Instructional Systems has been transferred to Broadcast Services. The media coordinators and Sam Burggraaf have been assigned to the McKay Institute, where they will act as coordinators for the whole academic support system. Ted Hindmarsh will be in charge of the Learning Resource Center programs and the managers of these units will report directly to him. Ted will also act as liaison between the Library and LRCs and will function as Assistant Director of Learning Services under Monte Shelley. Also, the Micrographics Center and Non-Print Media Evaluation and Selection have been assigned to the Library. Mark Chamberlin will be in charge of the latter function and will report to A. Dean Larsen. Ross Kincaid is the manager of the Micrographics Department, but at this point has not been given a reporting assignment.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 282
Learning Resources Division records
Motion Picture Production Department records
Educational Media Services Department records
Dates: circa 1959-1976
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives